>>>>Need some advice about my eggs hatching in coop soon

Incukahlan

Songster
10 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Alright, I'll give this another shot. I've tried posting in the hatching area to no avail, so now I'll try in ducks considering this issue is about ducks after all. If you need more background info, please see my other post https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/689981/rambling-questions-about-hatching-duck-eggs

So- 1st time hatch coming up. I have somewhere around 15 eggs now that are fertile and incubating themselves in the nest/coop because it's so hot here(phx, az) so they are developing at different rates and mom sits on them at night. I have one egg that internally pipped yesterday and is pecking and chirping inside. I left him in the nest for now, but my concern is will it be safe for him to hatch out in the coop with the other eggs not hatching yet? Will mom duck continue to sit on eggs at night once this little one hatches? And yet another possible concern because I have two drakes out there with mom and after doing some research learned last night that they may be aggressive with the eggs/ducklings once they start to hatch and can even kill them once they are out and about. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and could shed some light of reality for me on the issue. I'm not sure if I should bring the little guy that's about to hatch inside and just try putting him back out with mom after he hatches, or just leave him be and see if he makes it with the males out there with him? I just want the best for the babies and don't want to mess anything up. Any advice sould be greatly appreicated!

Alright, I'll give this another shot. I've tried posting in the hatching area to no avail, so now I'll try in ducks considering this issue is about ducks after all. If you need more background info, please see my other post https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/689981/rambling-questions-about-hatching-duck-eggs

So- 1st time hatch coming up. I have somewhere around 15 eggs now that are fertile and incubating themselves in the nest/coop because it's so hot here(phx, az) so they are developing at different rates and mom sits on them at night. I have one egg that internally pipped yesterday and is pecking and chirping inside. I left him in the nest for now, but my concern is will it be safe for him to hatch out in the coop with the other eggs not hatching yet? Will mom duck continue to sit on eggs at night once this little one hatches? And yet another possible concern because I have two drakes out there with mom and after doing some research learned last night that they may be aggressive with the eggs/ducklings once they start to hatch and can even kill them once they are out and about. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and could shed some light of reality for me on the issue. I'm not sure if I should bring the little guy that's about to hatch inside and just try putting him back out with mom after he hatches, or just leave him be and see if he makes it with the males out there with him? I just want the best for the babies and don't want to mess anything up. Any advice sould be greatly appreicated!
I'd move the drakes out of where ever mom is and let her take care of the hatching. Mom will sit till she feels the hatch is done. so you either take the remaining eggs and put them into a bator or let nature take it's course. My duck hatch lasted 4 days and mom sat through it all, I made sure feed and water was close enough so those that had hatched first could get something to eat and drink after day 2. just read you post in the other thread, since they are so far apart in develping you may not get 100% hatch, unless after she has finished with the ones she feels is enough then you step in and finish for her but if it's like a week apart or more the youngest ducklings may not be able to keep up with mom and the older ones so most likely you'll have to be mom.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I was thinking of separating the drakes just in case. if need be we can definitely take care of the little ones once they are hatched, day olds are super easy compared to these darn eggs I swear. Lol. My main worry is that after the first ones hatch, she won't see the need to take care of the remaining eggs. I guess we'll see. Unfortunately we don't have an incubator, so I'll have to really on mom to atleast get them to the point of hatching, then I can take over from there no issues. Thanks so much!

Thanks for the input. I was thinking of separating the drakes just in case. if need be we can definitely take care of the little ones once they are hatched, day olds are super easy compared to these darn eggs I swear. Lol. My main worry is that after the first ones hatch, she won't see the need to take care of the remaining eggs. I guess we'll see. Unfortunately we don't have an incubator, so I'll have to really on mom to atleast get them to the point of hatching, then I can take over from there no issues. Thanks so much!
I think as long as theres hatching going on she'll stay put. just keep feed and water close by. Unless of course hatching keeps going on for a week or more then she may give up, Please post back with results. I don't have a bator either, i have to solely rely on my girls.
smile.png

Last edited:
So an update about my unique hatching situation. The first egg that internally pipped hatched this morning (4am, got 2 hours of sleep, lol) successfully in my little make shift hatch box. I didn't want to leave the egg with mom and the two drakes in fear of it not making it because of all the other eggs, and didn't want that hatchling to affect how mom sits on the rest of the egss that are all developing and different rates. I figure if I can take each one out when it's turn comes to hatching, she'll keep sitting and we'll be able to have a more successful hatch hopefully. The first little one is doing well and I have him in a little brooder inside and he is as happy as can be and of course loves to snuggle. I love that about the young ones. I have another that questionably internally pipped yesterday, so I put it in with the other one(before he hatched) and today for sure I can tell the second one has pipped inside. So we'll see how this next one goes. If my technique is successful I will be hatching a baby duck just about every day or every other day for the next 18 days atleast. Lol. She is still laying as of yesterday and all 18 others are developing nicely and each is at the stage they are supposed to be for when they were dated. It's so funny because everyone talks about having a "hatch day" I can't imagine all of these little ones hatching around the same time now. Lol. It was stressful enough with just the one last night! So, I wanted to share my collage of pictures of the progress through last night and early this morning. Thanks for the help! The pink circle is how I marked which two eggs had internally pipped when they were still in with mom Belkin. Kinda looks silly in the photos unless you know what it is. Lol. Such a fascinating experience.

Last edited:
So an update about my unique hatching situation. The first egg that internally pipped hatched this morning (4am, got 2 hours of sleep, lol) successfully in my little make shift hatch box. I didn't want to leave the egg with mom and the two drakes in fear of it not making it because of all the other eggs, and didn't want that hatchling to affect how mom sits on the rest of the egss that are all developing and different rates. I figure if I can take each one out when it's turn comes to hatching, she'll keep sitting and we'll be able to have a more successful hatch hopefully. The first little one is doing well and I have him in a little brooder inside and he is as happy as can be and of course loves to snuggle. I love that about the young ones. I have another that questionably internally pipped yesterday, so I put it in with the other one(before he hatched) and today for sure I can tell the second one has pipped inside. So we'll see how this next one goes. If my technique is successful I will be hatching a baby duck just about every day or every other day for the next 18 days atleast. Lol. She is still laying as of yesterday and all 18 others are developing nicely and each is at the stage they are supposed to be for when they were dated. It's so funny because everyone talks about having a "hatch day" I can't imagine all of these little ones hatching around the same time now. Lol. It was stressful enough with just the one last night! So, I wanted to share my collage of pictures of the progress through last night and early this morning. Thanks for the help! The pink circle is how I marked which two eggs had internally pipped when they were still in with mom Belkin. Kinda looks silly in the photos unless you know what it is. Lol. Such a fascinating experience.
Did you take that egg in the house to hatch? Under a light I hope? I don't know about you up in Phoenix, but it is definitely hotter outside that inside down here. Ducks when hatching or in lockdown also need high humidity also...I wish you the best on this endeavor! :)

Thanks so much, I appreciate the support. I did bring the egg in to the house, I have them set up in a plastic container that looks like an incubator, but it's a reptile container. I have a light, but was worried that it would be too hot to use so I'm working with a heating pad, moisture inside plus spritzing for the humidity and monitoring the temperature for consistency. So far it is working well. I just went out and checked my others in my duck coop and found another one either internally pipped, or very close to it. So now I have 2 eggs in my makeshift incubator hatch thing. Lol. Keeping fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom