Need some advice and quick!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dandydoodle, Jun 25, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I have a new broody sitting on eggs. This morning I went out and two had hatched. I got the momma out to go to the bathroom and when she saw the babies she started attacking them. I took them away from her and put her under the light. She sat back on the rest of the eggs. I went to check on the progress of the rest because, I knew she was acting weird. I took her off for a minute and she saw one of the babies was hatching, she grab it and yanked out of the egg and was slinging it around. I think its okay, maybe:(. Anyway here is my question I know she is not nice to them once they start hatching. Can I take the rest of the eggs away from her and put them under the light with the chicks that have already hatched. If they aren't under her but, under a light will they still hatch? I am scared if I am not there every second she will kill them. Any advice would be so appreciated. [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Michelle

2. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I think the temperature has to be around 99.5 and the humidity should be 55, so if they don't have those conditions they probably won't hatch. Do you have an incubator, or a friend who has one you can borrow???? I am not real familiar with chickens I have only hatched them in an incubator once. Maybe someone else with more knowledge will answer soon.

3. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia

No incubator.

4. asmfshr

asmfshr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    Paulden
    Yes ,put them in a box and put a light bulb above. 100 watt . get the temp as close as you can to 100.a bowl of water and your set .check temp regularly until its at the 100 mark. try to keep it as close as possible. this isnt rocket science , but it helps to be as accurate as possible . they will be fine Asm

5. asmfshr

asmfshr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    Paulden
    Next time leave Momma alone. Let her come and go as she pleases. Put a little food and water in sight and let her be .Sounds like you got a little too involved. You wouldnt want to come home and see a bunch of kids romping on your nest either.[​IMG] Having said all this Im sitting here nervously waiting for my own chicks to hatch ,wondering if I did everything possible.Ive been hatching eggs for a while now and it always seems like the best way is the simplest way. Have a great day michele and dont worry too much..[Let me do it for you} Pce asm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by