1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need some advice! ASAP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LadyDixieChick, Jun 18, 2011.

1. LadyDixieChick

LadyDixieChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Rock Hill, SC
    [​IMG] I have a white silkie that started sitting on her 19 eggs last week. We noticed the last few days, she is kicking eggs out of her nest, 1 here, 2 there....I noticed when I picked up one egg that it looked fine ( no cracks or damage) but it was filthy....SO I lifted her off her eggs and realized she is "pooping" in her nest...she and her eggs are COVERED in poop. That lets me know she must not be getting off the nest to eat or drink either.....That cannot be good for the eggs nor her for that matter. Should I remove the eggs, clean them and place in the incubator, or just lift her off the nest daily, hoping she will eat and drink and relieve herself????
    I want to see these silkie eggs hatch and not lose another one!!! HELP:confused:

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Is it her first time??
    Some chicks are just don't know what to do when it comes to this.
    Do not Wash the egg, it removes the coating it needs...however take a towel and ty to wipe off the big poops, cause you don't want anything affecting the chicks inside.
    Next...Some broodies have to be forcefully removed from the nest a few times until they learn the routine. I never put food or water where they can reach it while they are on the nest. This only encourages them to stay on the nest until it is too late.
    Make food and water available to her away from the nest, take her off the nest and put her near the water. You may have to do this a few days in a row before she gets the idea.
    After a few days she will probably take time to eat and drink. Some times just moving around will cause them to poop before they get back to the nest.

As far as the kicking out...some hens know if an egg is bad, or she may not like the poop on them either....

Best Wishes,
    Laura

Edit: spelling

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  3. LadyDixieChick

LadyDixieChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Rock Hill, SC
    thanks so much!!! I will remover her from the nest and place her near the food and water....I am not sure, since my trio of silkies were a gift, but I do believe she is a first time mom...
    I really want to have some baby silkies! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by