Need some advice ! Coop starting to smell strong ammonia and parts coop getting damp

Sammi_0411

Crowing
Jun 20, 2020
England UK
Hey guys so built a large coop and walk in run been fine but have noticed when raining even with guttering the nest box area of coop is getting damp theres ventilation and im cleaning them out once twice a day but really smells strongly of ammonia recently? Could it be the areas getting damp would putting felt on nest box and treating the wood and waterproof painthelp u think? Also heard that agricultral lime can help with the ammonia?
Thank u
Sam xx

Hey guys so built a large coop and walk in run been fine but have noticed when raining even with guttering the nest box area of coop is getting damp theres ventilation and im cleaning them out once twice a day but really smells strongly of ammonia recently? Could it be the areas getting damp would putting felt on nest box and treating the wood and waterproof painthelp u think? Also heard that agricultral lime can help with the ammonia?
Thank u
Sam xx
Sounds like rain seepage from above the nest boxes.

Could that also cause the smell of ammonia hun? I literally gagging cleaning them out tonite i keep them clean clean them out once twice a day xx

Short term, can you put a tarp over the leaking section? If your dried, poopy bedding(nothing to be ashamed of, almost all of us have dried, poopy bedding) is being rewet by rain it will certainly release nitrogen, and so, amonia from the bedding. Can you leave extra ventilation open for the time being? Any chance water is leaking up from the ground?

Last edited:
I dont think so i think i just need to water proof it up a bit more yes that was wat i was worried about i leave it open to dry in day nt nite tho as fox nearby comes in to garden a lot xx

Back
Top Bottom