Need some advice... don't know what to do!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rocknchickenfam, Jan 24, 2014.

1. rocknchickenfam

rocknchickenfam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Ohio
    All my hens are back to laying and were having pecking issues in the nesting boxes...I posted about it and did what was suggested. All is better but one hen is getting brutalized. It's cold and they are pecking her comb in the nesting boxes, which is creating a blood bath. The feathers are pecked off her head from this to. I keep cleaning her up and blue - coting her. What else can I do? It's only happening in nesting boxes and there is plenty of boxes. Your help is very much appreciated... I'm so frustrated!

1 person likes this.
  2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Blue kote the area and put pinless peepers on the aggressors.

Edit to add: Separate her from the flock until she heals as chickens will peck at blood.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  3. rocknchickenfam

Jun 26, 2012
    Ohio
    Ok... working on separating her... what is the best way of separating and reintroducing? Details please... never had to separate and a newbie :)

1 person likes this.
  4. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    Since she is not sick you can simply put her in either a wire or dog crate in the coop with her own food and water. This way she stays in the coop, they can talk to each other, and she is safe from pecking. When she is all healed you just remove the crate at night and let her roost with the others.

*For any chickens with an illness I suggest putting them in a crate or box inside the house well away from the others. After well again, put them back in the coop at night.

1 person likes this.
  5. rocknchickenfam

Jun 26, 2012
    Ohio
    I have a large crate which will not fit in coop. That being said, will crate in run be okay? What should I lay down in crate and anything special for laying? Sorry about all the questions. Thank you so much for your help!

1 person likes this.
  6. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    In the run would be fine as long as you can protect it from the elements. Cheap shower curtains at the dollar store work great as temp draft and rain protection. If it has a wire bottom you don't need bedding just clean it out daily. You could put some hay in there if you wanted to for a nest but it is not required. A small bowl for food and water will be needed. If it is something like the plastic dog crates I would put in the normal bedding for the coop and put the food and water on something like a wood block or brick to keep the bedding out of it.

7. rocknchickenfam

Jun 26, 2012
    Ohio
    Where do I order pinless peepers?

8. rocknchickenfam

Jun 26, 2012
    Ohio
    Ok thank you...I will definitely protect her from the elements...where to order pinless peepers? Very thankful for your help

1 person likes this.
  9. rocknchickenfam

Jun 26, 2012
    Ohio
    Thank you thank you thank you!!!! Pinless peepers on order and the Chicken Ritz Hotel being set up for my little fluffy butt!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by