Need some advice for 11 wk old BBW turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by TexasLisa, Dec 10, 2012.

1. TexasLisa

TexasLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    Rosenberg, TX
    Hi!

Two weeks ago my husband and I were given 5 BBW. They are 11 weeks old and all girls. These girls were bought in a group of 50. Until they came to us they were kept in a small room. They hadn't seen the outdoors until they arrived here. They love it outdoors! We are new to raising chickens and especially turkeys. Temperatures are dropping here in S. Texas. We are now around 46 degrees and suppose to hit the low 30's tonight. My chickens are doing fine in this weather and are free-ranging as I write. The turkeys are staying inside their coop and a couple of them are shivering here and there. I closed the door to the coop to cut down on the wind, but (unfortunately) the south side of the coop has a 5-6 ft. long opening (hardwired) on the bottom. Should I put a warming light in there or what? Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Lisa :)

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would give them a lamp.

3. TexasLisa

Jan 27, 2012
    Rosenberg, TX
    All I have in there for right now is a 60W bulb. This light is what I turn on to see in the early morning hours. Is that enough or do I need to get a heat lamp bulb?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm pretty new to turkeys, but I have noticed that they seem to like/need more heat, so I would use a heat lamp and try to make the coop as draft free as possible.

5. TexasLisa

Jan 27, 2012
    Rosenberg, TX
    Okay. I really appreciate your feedback. I am a fan of the 'open' coops for the chickens, but I guess that isn't too good for turkeys. Thank goodness this coop doesn't have that many windows. I guess I will hunt down a heat lamp bulb.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Just make sure it's not going to start a fire! I always use one of these:
    [​IMG]
    FWIW, my 30 pound BBW's still shiver and now they insist on sleeping on my front porch completely out of the wind.

7. TexasLisa

Jan 27, 2012
    Rosenberg, TX
    I know we have the light but not sure about the cage on the outside. I can see where that is needed. These girls are learning to fly and they tickle me when they fly up on something and they puff up with pride!

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It's the metal shell that you need most, I think... You can get them at Home Depot, Lowes and maybe TSC.

9. TamTurkey

TamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    Lisa,

For many turkeys it's ok to be in the weather for the most part of course they need a place to get out of the weather. What I suspect is you got Show culls. Show animals are raised in a temperature controlled environment from day 1 so their bodies aren't accustom to having to control their temp much. So with these you are going to have to keep them warm. They will end up huddling together and may suffocate another just to stay warm like chicks do. They should at 11 weeks be used to a 70 degree temp. No you don't have to get them to that exact temp but close would be best. you may want to buy 2 lamps on either side so they wont all go to one. They will survive they will just have to be eased into it. With the freezing temps all your animals could use the heat. PS I'm in Texas dealing with the same swing in weather. [​IMG] Good Luck

10. TexasLisa

Jan 27, 2012
    Rosenberg, TX
    Thank you for your reply. It is nice to correspond with someone from Texas. What part of Texas are you in? Supposedly this weather is only going to last a couple of days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by