Need some advice for Quai feed

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Born2blove, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Born2blove

Born2blove Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2014
    Normal i feed my Quail with Country Feed GameBird Feed make by Natrena.
    Today I go to my Petclub to get the same feed, but they don't have it any more.
    They give me Purina Gamebird Chow
    Is this Purina Gamebird Chow good for my Quail?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It should be. Compare protein % and calcium % between the two feeds.

3. Twoandhelp

Twoandhelp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    I don't use that one but that's all they stock at one of the major suppliers in my area so I assume people like it- protein is 28% I'm pretty sure so that should be alright.

Hey ChickenCanoe- what calcium % do you like? I've had a few soft shelled eggs recently so I got to thinking about it.

4. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    a Min 3% - Max 4% mix works pretty good for me for the majority of my birds but my tibetan used to lay a lot of shell-less and soft shelled on the same mix so now i run a 1/2c of crushed oyster shell though a coffee grinder for about 10 seconds and pour it into their sand box (i give it to all coloration), i still get an occasional soft shell, but they are few and far between and rarely do i get a shell-less now.

5. Twoandhelp

Apr 7, 2015
    Ah- in the sand box huh? That's a good idea! I was going to run shells through the processor- I didn't realize you could do that with the oyster shell. I have that for my ducks but they refuse to eat it. So I have a ton. Thanks again JetCat- pretty sure you're my new mentor.

6. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    that works best for me, if i put it in a container by itself they fling it EVERYWHERE and 99% of it ends up in the litter pan.

7. Countryboyeggs

Countryboyeggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2015
    Hamilton
    [​IMG]hi I am building a quail coop 5ft by 3ft and there is a run on the bottom of the coop for them I was wondering if this design will work

8. Twoandhelp

Apr 7, 2015
    Oh fancy pants! I wouldn't see why not although some of the more experienced quailers may see something. So is that like a little enclosed porch on the front? I like it. Will it be moveable? I know quail on the ground can be prone to parasites depending how many you have per square foot, but if you were moving it, it wouldn't be so much of an issue.

9. Countryboyeggs

Countryboyeggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2015
    Hamilton
    Yeah thanks! there's a little porch out front of the coop and run on the bottom and it can be moved quite easily

10. Twoandhelp

Apr 7, 2015
    Well I think it's cool. Hey- something you might think about is building them and selling them! It's pretty cool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by