Need some advice/hatching

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by abeasley2016, May 18, 2016.

1. abeasley2016

abeasley2016 New Egg

May 18, 2016
    This site has usually been my go-to for chicken advice since a couple of years back, I just never really got around to creating an account but there always seemed to be great advice here, thus here I am, definitely needing some help.

My cousin obtained some ducks a while back, I'm quite ignorant on the subject but I do think they are Muscovy based on general research. Anyhow, one drake, and 3 hens usually stayed around my property and I've taken a liking to them. About two days ago a stray dog killed one that I noticed had been sitting eggs, and I'm unsure of really what to do.

I've moved her nest (it was quite elaborate, if I must say) into the building and I've tried to keep them roughly the 99 degrees that I've seen recommended based on an internet search, but that's about it on my knowledge. I have candled them, and they are most definitely forming, but I have no idea if they are still viable or not. They had not been turned for the day or two, but were kept warm, but did make a point to attempt to keeping them turned.

I do not have an incubator, but do have a bit of free time usually and I'd like to see even one or two make it as there are probably 8-12 eggs.

Is it hopeless? Can anything be done? I know they need humidity, but I have no way to measure humidity.

Recommendations?

I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

3. abeasley2016

abeasley2016 New Egg

May 18, 2016
    Thank you kindly for the direction and feedback! I do have some chickens and hadn't even thought about trying to get chickens to sit/raise them.

Great advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by