need some advice i messed up.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JLaw, Mar 23, 2013.

1. JLaw

JLaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    Ok so I got so excited about getting chicks and telling my daughter we would get them on her b-day (this past Friday), that now I have 10 baby chicks rangeing from we think 2 days to 1-2 weeks. One bantam is real small and the silkies was marked down at TS so they like 1-2 weeks we think. Any ways we totally over looked my daughters heart surgery april 10th. we live in Forestville ny and the hospital is in Rochester, NY (2hr trip). I need to know if I can change the litter every other day or not? I have people checking food and water 2 times a day. I know I really screwed up and shouldn't make them sit in they're poo. But I was wondering if I do a lot of litter or someone adds some the first night and I come back second will it be ok or can I go longer? It's 10 chicks total in a 19x30 inch dog cage atm. I have some wood I can make a bigger cage (roughly 3x3 ft.) if it would help for longer times with less litter changes. I'm gonna try and find someone to take care of them that will change litter but I want some info in advance incase I cant find anyone cause the only person I can think of is wifes grandpa who really might have a harder time with them. he use to raise chickens back in the day, but I really don't want to put that much on him and his wife. I will be in Rochester 10th - 14th then back home have to work so then i'll be fine cept go up back up Friday night through sunday night hopeing they be fine with the deep litter again. AS for birds 1 small bantam, 7 assorted reds mid sized wasn't marked down, and the 2 silkies. I feel like crap after telling wife for three years i'm getting chicks I finaly get them only to not think it out right.

2. Chickenclucker

Chickenclucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    Western Slope, Co
    I usually only change my chick litter once a week.. its pine bedding. It does get pretty dirty by the e. Of the week but it doesn't seem to affect any health issues. I have 12 chicks, about some range age as yours and they are in a 2 ft by 4 ft brooder to compare to yours. However by april 10th they will be much bigger = bigger poops.....hmm I think they will be ok for a couple days though. I wouldnt worry About it too much at that age they will be hardier an less susceptible to disease.

3. JLaw

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    Ok thanks. I just feel like crap. you take on the role of mother/father only to over look something so key for them that shouldn't have been over looked. I know some peeps say oh its just chickens but I like to treat animals right. I break for any animal if I can safely while driving in 14 years driving only hit one coon, but it wasn't there the next day so hope lived fine. Gotten my car sprayed by a skunk when I laid down a nice skid patch breaking for the little pain in my arse. Only second day having my chicks and already changed littler. Wasn't bad just figured it was time. I really didn't have much in there to start any ways just a light dusting of pine shaveings. I took the card board from TS starter kit and put it under with ridge side up so they had a firm grip. This time I put more in and left the card board out. I need to get some dirt in a pan they are trying to dust in the shaveings and peck them even though no food lol. I love sitting there watching them.

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    I think you will be just fine. I have a 4x6 coop out back . Mama hen hatched three babies a month ago and they have been living in it 24/7 because of the cold weather without a litter change. They do just fine. Yes, the bigger brooder will help. Not becuase of the shavings thing , but because it will give all the chicks a bit more room. At this age, you should have about 1 sq. ft per large fowl bird. (halve that number for bantams) That's 9 sq. ft. and you have 10 chicks which include silkies( a small breed) and a bantam. Should work just fine.
    Best Success,
    Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  5. JLaw

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    Ok will have to make a diff set up by time we leave then I know it will be kinda small still but 3x3 1/2 will be best I can do at the time for inside will leave all walls tall cept one for people to do water/feed. then do sire over top and the short sidewall.

6. Hannah11

Hannah11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2012
    Bluff, New Zealand
    I agree with everyone, don't worry about bedding! I'm sure if you have the 3x3 and maybe a little extra bedding they will look after themselves, just focus on food and water and they will be fine I also had a pair of chicks and went away for a week had a friend change the water and food (thats all) then when i got back just a little bit more time cleaning up [​IMG] also a well ventilated brooder would help.

It will be fine chicks can be scary byc will always help!
    Best wishes for your daughter

7. Hannah11

Hannah11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2012
    Bluff, New Zealand
    i forgot to say, make sure you have an area away from the lamp that they can keep cool as they will be growing lots

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by