Need some advice-lethargic chicken...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by percula81, Nov 19, 2014.

1. percula81

percula81 New Egg

Jan 4, 2014
    Dekalb, Illinois
    Hello everyone and thanks in advance or any help or advice.

I live in Northern Illinois and it has gotten very cold very quickly. I have 4 hens and they started their molt about 4 weeks ago. Their feathers are coming in nicely but we have already gotten weather in the single digits.
    I was checking on them yesterday and I noticed one of my EE's hobbling. (That's her in my profile pic actually) I first thought she had some frozen poop stuck to her feet but when I looked closer I noticed that her feet were frozen solid! These hens made it through last winter's sub-zero temps but maybe it came too quickly this time. I ran her feet under cold water until they started to thaw and isolated her in a dog crate in the house. She immediately ate and drank but seems lethargic today. Amazingly her feet thawed out and she is using them normally. Fingers crossed that there will be no permanent. damage... Other hens are fine.
    My main concern now is her behavior. Again, she eats and drinks and stools are normal looking. She spends most of the time in "ball" shape and her normally long neck is contracted. Eyes appear sunken and she is slightly underweight. Crop is full and appetite good. She was acting perfectly normal a few days ago running around with the rest of the girls. I added some smashed dry dog food to her crumbles as well as some scratch. I was hoping the higher protein in the dog food would quickly add some weight.
    Any ideas or recommendations? Did the cold come too fast?

Again, thank you for the help. Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Sounds like your on top of things, I would also add given her some Vitamins to the water. She may be slightly dehydrated. I believe sunken eyes is one sign...

3. percula81

percula81 New Egg

Jan 4, 2014
    Dekalb, Illinois
    Great, thank you. Any specific vitamins? I appreciate your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by