Need some advice on baby gosling....

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Broke Down Ranch, May 22, 2008.

1. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Baby buff dewlap #5 isn't thriving like it's siblings. It appears to be drinking occasionally but just every once in a while does a dis-interested peck at a grain of food and that's it. S/he doesn't seem interested in food and I'm not sure how to get him/her to start eating and running amuk like it's siblings. Any ideas what I could do to encourage this baby to eat?

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Hmmm... it's hard to say. Make sure his/her crop isn't hard for starters. It could have swallowed something.

As far as stimulating an appetite, try giving it a 1/4 CC of B12 if you have it... or an electrolyte pack in the water with vitamins. Also, throw some lettuce in there. Goslings go ape for leafy greens.

3. Broke Down Ranch

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    When I saw her looking so droopy this morning first thing I did was check the crop to see is she's been eating and it was empty. That's when I tried to encourage her to eat but she nibble one little crumb and turned away. Every morning I take them outside to their "play pen" under a shady tree. They have grass, crumble feed, and a pan of water. I let them hang out there all day. Then in the evening I bring them in and keep over night in the brooder. She isn't even trying to nibble grass.... [​IMG]

4. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Sometimes they just don't make it. [​IMG]

5. Broke Down Ranch

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    I have some sublingual B-complex that I take - do you think a couple of drops will make it worse? Or I'm thinking it's worth a shot (but don't want to do more harm than good....).

6. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    B complex works too.

7. nutmeggie

nutmeggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Good luck!! I hope s/he gets better and starts eatting.
    [​IMG]

8. Broke Down Ranch

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Well, as soon as I get the human kids down for a nap I'll bring her in and try to convince her to start eating......

OH hey, I am all out of electrolytes - do you think some Pedialyte would help? It's flavored but I can't see her caring about flavor....lol

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  9. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Maybe cut some really tender grass into 1/2 inch lengths and sprinkle it on top of some water? Good luck.

10. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Find a way to get some honey into her (adding a little to extremely hot water, then mixing that with cool water works the best for us). Honey is a natural energy booster and gives them a little kick. Also, hard boiled egg yolks have a ton of nutrients and are eagerly chomped up by practically every young bird. Sprinkle it over the top of the food.

Dandilion leaves are a big favorite with geese and chopped cat grass also goes quickly.

A few times

Good luck with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by