1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need some advice on finalizing my coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheBlaireCrew, Aug 25, 2016.

1. TheBlaireCrew

TheBlaireCrew Just Hatched

Aug 24, 2016
    Ocala, Florida
    Ok I have my coop/run all built and overall I really love it. I do have a couple of things that I want to do to it to improve it such as making both ends of the coop part doors so I can hose it out and such. But my question is this...how many roosts do I need and do I need them in the coop part or just the run? I have three boards going across the main run area and the roost on those a lot but they sleep in the coop part at night...do I need some roosts in there as well? Thanks for any advice you are able to give me.

2. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    I looked at your member page and assume the blue coop is yours. I didn't see boards in the run area, but I would recommend roosts inside the coop so they can sleep indoors, especially during your storms in Ocala. (Looks like you may have one coming next week). Everybody who knows, recommends at least 1' linear foot per bird for roosting. How many do you have?

3. TheBlaireCrew

Aug 24, 2016
    Ocala, Florida
    Yes our coop is turquoise and white. I have the boards in the run area now but they weren't up originally. I will add some inside too. Should I do them all the same height or should I vary them? Here is a picture with the boards after I first put them in. They go straight across now instead of from the side to the ground. (although I haven't permanently secured them yet as I am not sure they are the correct height).
    [​IMG]

4. Dmontgomery

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    My birds prefer they all be the same height. I tried the ladder kind and it didn't work for me, but my coop is much bigger and I have 42 in there. In the run, the height won't matter as long as they can get up off the ground. Just make them high enough you can move around in there when you need to and give them at least 12" above their head when they perch on them. It will get hot up there by that metal roof.
    Good luck!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  6. TheBlaireCrew

Aug 24, 2016
    Ocala, Florida
    I need to add the ventilation in there....i haven't been locking them in because of the lack of it. but yes that door can close once i get the ventilation in. my nests hang off the back so the roosts wouldn't be over them.
    so adding ventilation and roosts on the inside will be my next project!

7. Dmontgomery

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    Thinking of y'all today. Hope the chickens and the new coop get through the weekend with no problems. Stay safe.

8. TheBlaireCrew

Aug 24, 2016
    Ocala, Florida
    Doing great. We had some rain off and on for the last 24 hours and a little wind. Lost power for about 4 hours but other then that all is well. My chickens seemed to enjoy all the wet ground cause it drives the bugs to the surface!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by