Need some advice on freshly built coop :)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Everlong, May 17, 2016.

1. Everlong

Everlong Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2016
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Hi guys, just finished this with my father and my 7 year old daughter. My question is, in the box, we put wood shavigs, how do you go about cleaning it? Do you guys use anything else? any suggestions? should I get something inside there so its easier to clean?

This is the coop

[​IMG]

And that's the box

[​IMG]

2. paneubert

paneubert Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2015
    None of those links or photos work.

3. Everlong

May 17, 2016
    Mississauga, Ontario
    yeahh, since these are my first posts, they have to be approved by the admin of the site. Hopefully soon :)

4. paneubert

paneubert Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2015
    Guess you could up your post count by saying random things on random threads. :)

5. Everlong

May 17, 2016
    Mississauga, Ontario
    well, got my first egg :) I'm so excited ;))))) why aren't the quail going into the box? why are they sitting in the cage/coop part?

6. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Quail are apparently unlike chickens as regards their attitude towards coops, not all will use them. The whole 'dark hole' thing doesn't seem to attract them as much as it attracts chickens. But if you put feed or treats in there, they'll probably figure it out eventually.
    You could try sand on the bottom. They love dust baths, so if they figure out there is sand in there, they'll probably use it more. I'm not sure how well sand bedding works with coturnix, but I use it for my buttons and I can simply clean it with a cat litter shovel when I think it needs to be cleaned. Shavings might be better in the winter though.

7. mporche

mporche Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2016
    Livonia La
    I have 12 bobwhites that I keep as pets in addition to my other quail.I have them in a 8x10ft.pen with alot of natural things and a 12in.x16in.dust box that they all sleep in at night as a covey.

8. cactusrota

cactusrota Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2014
    Fort Thomas, AZ
    I tried a nesting box/coop for my quail and they refused to use it. I cut a second hole on the other side and they started using it somewhat. Now somedays I get 3-4 eggs in it, some days none. I'm guessing with just one entrance they felt trapped??

9. Everlong

May 17, 2016
    Mississauga, Ontario
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Everlong

May 17, 2016
    Mississauga, Ontario
    well, tried posting pics again, and no go. Will have to wait until the site gods will allow me to :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by