Need some advice on freshly built coop :)

Everlong

Chirping
May 17, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Hi guys, just finished this with my father and my 7 year old daughter. My question is, in the box, we put wood shavigs, how do you go about cleaning it? Do you guys use anything else? any suggestions? should I get something inside there so its easier to clean?

This is the coop

And that's the box

Quail are apparently unlike chickens as regards their attitude towards coops, not all will use them. The whole 'dark hole' thing doesn't seem to attract them as much as it attracts chickens. But if you put feed or treats in there, they'll probably figure it out eventually.
You could try sand on the bottom. They love dust baths, so if they figure out there is sand in there, they'll probably use it more. I'm not sure how well sand bedding works with coturnix, but I use it for my buttons and I can simply clean it with a cat litter shovel when I think it needs to be cleaned. Shavings might be better in the winter though.

I have 12 bobwhites that I keep as pets in addition to my other quail.I have them in a 8x10ft.pen with alot of natural things and a 12in.x16in.dust box that they all sleep in at night as a covey.

I tried a nesting box/coop for my quail and they refused to use it. I cut a second hole on the other side and they started using it somewhat. Now somedays I get 3-4 eggs in it, some days none. I'm guessing with just one entrance they felt trapped??

Back
Top Bottom