1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need some advice on hatching ducks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lazys, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Lazys

Lazys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2014
    Today is day 29 of a batch of what started out to be 47 runner duck eggs, I threw away 16 that were clear a week ago. there was definite growth and movement on day 18. I have one of the faux Janol inccbators that I just found out a coupe of days ago has been running lower temps than it says (I bought a hygrometer and put it in the incubator on lock down day when I got it). the temp has prob been a consistant 97-98 the whole time. I had some low humidity problems and not sure how good it was covered when I had to be gone for 7 days. anyway today one duck hatched..... I know I am not supposed to mess with the eggs now but Idid check them out on lock down as I was moving them out of the turner and fhere were still several that were moving.
    How likely am I to get more than one duck to hatch? and how long should I leave this duck in the incubator? I hate to put it by it'self in a box with heat lamp, but wondered if it would dry out in the incubator and get too hot. does it need water to drink...

2. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    If you hatched one, I would bet more would hatch. Sometimes there is an early one. I don't like to put just one in a brooder because they get lonely. I would leave it in for a day or two and inspire others to hatch... hopefully you have had more hatch by now!

3. Lazys

Lazys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2014
    No more have hatched, but they are piping and then no more.... I am going to start trying to open them tomorrow. it will be day 31.... I hear them and when I candle them I can see movement. I am worried that the humidity was not enough. I know my heat was low also according to the new hygrometer I got.

4. madamiec

madamiec Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2013
    Roann, Indiana
    If you see ANY blood STOP and leave it. If you can hear them and they are still wiggling then they are still working on those tough duck shells! Your still okay.

5. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    Humidity may have been too high during incubation... then they grow too big to hatch out. If you take off the shell from the air cell end you can see if they have any veins left unabsorbed. If no veins are left, you can help the wing and head out and put them back in the incubator. They will push out of the bottom of the shell when they are ready.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by