1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need some advice on my chickens laying habits

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blackjack1, Sep 6, 2009.

1. blackjack1

blackjack1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    NW Iowa
    We have cochins bantam, standard and some leg horn . No one is laying daily or even good.
    We might get 1 or 2 eggs every couple weeks. I feed a multi-flock. Do I need to change to a egg layer?
    My daughter is going to be showing these chickens in some open shows this fall and we don't want yellow birds. We have more whites then blacks.
    I can deal with no eggs from here on out this fall but they don't lay in the spring much either!!
    My standards cochins males are good because I got 3 (yes I said 3) chicks this spring that I hatched.
    I started the year off with 2 white bantam and now have about 15 show birds.

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    HOw old are these hens? a leghorn should lay almost every day.

3. blackjack1

Feb 22, 2009
    NW Iowa
    The Standard and leg horns are a little over or a little under a year old.
    We just got one egg from the standard pair last night and off to the bater it goes. WOOHOO!![​IMG][​IMG]
    Our leg horns laid daily for 3 then they stopped!?[​IMG]

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I wonder if they are laying in a hidden spot?

Or, they could be molting.

Or, they could be feed/protein/calcium deficient.

Or, they could be "unsettled" in some way, that they are not happy and not wanting to lay. For example, do they feel safe from predators (dogs etc). Are there too many roosters hassling them?

What type of nest boxes do you have? Perhaps they don't like the set-up -- not enough privacy?

5. blackjack1

Feb 22, 2009
    NW Iowa
    Well I have them in dog kennels and in trio or pairs. All but the leg horns there are 3 hens to the one rooster. I have wood nesting boxes the have a flap of cloth over the door way so its darker in there.

6. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Hmmm....

is there any location they may be laying eggs that you don't realize? Hens are VERY sneaky in this regard.

do you have pics?

Also, typically the ratio of hen to rooster is 1 to 12, or 1 to 15. 1 rooster to 12 hens to prevent "rooster harassment".

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  7. blackjack1

Feb 22, 2009
    NW Iowa
    Sorry no pictures right now I will have to get some. the kennels are smaller then I wanted them but I have to make due with the space I have. they are 6 x 6 kennels so they couldn't be hiding them in this space.
    I'm trying something today, I just stripped all my kennels and dusted the floors with 7 dusting powder and then clean wood shavings on top. I talked to a good friend and they said I might have a bug problem but I don't see any bugs.This is what they do and bugs and down to almost nothing they said.
    The wife gave most of these birds baths back at the end of July and didn't find any bugs.
    My daughter showed some of the birds and out county fair.
    I know about 3 days before the fair almost all the birds started to molt and I would think they would be laying again.

8. blackjack1

Feb 22, 2009
    NW Iowa
    Anyone else have any ideas???
    We have 15 hens that Im trying to hatch gets out of and I got1 egg yesterday and 1 today but someone pecked it.[​IMG][​IMG]
    Here are some pictures
    [​IMG]
    This is a nesting coop I made to save space for the bantams. they are bigger then they look!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  9. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    FYI -- the bugs can be tiny -- you really have to look close -- if you're my age, get out the bifocals or the magnifying glass.

10. blackjack1

Feb 22, 2009
    NW Iowa
    Yes I know the bugs can be small and my wife is very very good at finding them. the stuff she uses on them kills then fast and then we mist with Adam's flee and tick every 2 weeks. Thats why I think its not them.
    I got a leg horn egg today so maybe the dry spell is comin to a end.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by