Please help!

Jaime84

In the Brooder
May 22, 2020
This is Chickadee. Just over a month ago I noticed he just sitting down in the coop. Not really doing much, abit lethargic. Still eating and drinking but had lost weight. I separated her from the flock and hand fed and watered etc. She did have mites at the time so treated her for that and the rest. I also wormed her and the rest of the flock. I took her to the vet as she wasn't improving. She had no respiratory symptoms at all. The vet said she may not survive at the time but gave me some antibiotics for a week. I kept her inside and warm and fed her whatever she could/would eat, put vitamins in her water and gave her some eggs from the flock. She seems to get more energy back after a couple weeks so eased her back into the flock. But she hasn't got back to 100% so I have bought her back in again. She often stands up and stretches one wing out. She puffs up. Still very underweight. Please if anyone can give me some advice on what to do next. It has been well over a month 😭

Attachments

• 20211018_125953.jpg
    20211018_125953.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 7
How old is she? Have you checked her again for any signs of mites? They require treatment 2-3 times 7 days apart with permethrin to get the mites and new mites that hatch, along with treating the coop, roost, and nests after removing all bedding.

Hens frequently will suffer from either crop problems, or reproductive disorders, or cancer. Those may be more common after the age of 2. Has she laid eggs recently? Has she molted this year? Is her tail position up or down when she is standing? When she stretches the wing out, is she stretching, sunbathing, or trying to balance?

Thanks so much for the reply. Have checked them all for mites again and I did retreat them all. Cleaned the coop etc. When she stands her tail is up. Not sure if she is stretching or maintaining her balance. I mean she is lethargic so she could be unbalanced. Her crop is usually empty as she hasn't been eating much. She is 2 years old around about. She hasn't laid in quite awhile either.

The yellow in her dropping is either yellow fluid or bile or the urates which are normally white are yellow. That could be from liver disease, which can happen with reproductive infection or cancer. Hard to know exactly, but hopefully, she will pull through this. If you should lose her one day, it helps to know what was going on by doing a home necropsy to look at organs, and for yellow fluid in the abdomen. Or get your state vet to do a professional necropsy.

Back
Top Bottom