Need some advice.... Please respond... someone!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Theapplechicks, May 13, 2011.

1. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    So my broody hen has hatched out 4 babies so far in 3 days. There are 4 more eggs that could possibly be good to hatch. The problem came this afternoon. I had to move her. The nest box was kinda small for her and the babies and she refused to leave the nest for anything and pooped this HUGE poop and it was so nasty. Also the other chickens kept trying to get into the nest box w/ her and the babies and she was getting so upset, So I prepared a clean rubbermaid box for her and moved her and the 4 babies and the rest of the eggs that haven't hatched yet into the box. She did not like this well and went kinda crazy at first kicking babies and eggs everywhere! (not to mention she hasn't been real kind to the 4th baby... getting better but at first was kicking it around and pecking it to the point I almost pulled it out) She then burried the remaining eggs in the pine shaving and didn't sit on them all afternoon really. Tonight she is sitting on a couple and had 2 sitting out uncovered away from her and the babies and other eggs. I'm not sure why she is doing this and since she has.... what are the chances that those babies are ok and will hatch. Should I try putting a heat lamp on them or is it too late? Why would she hatch half and abandon the rest... was it because I moved her? What should I do?

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Is she keeping the chicks warm?

3. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    Yes, she is keeping the chicks up under her most of the time, but it has been in the low 90's during the day here so they have been out and about some walking around and she herself was quite hot. I got her to drink some water this afternoon and put her in the shade and finally ended up bringing the box into the house where it was a little cooler.

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    There is a point where she will no longer sit on the rest of the eggs and concentrate on her babies that were hatched!!

ETA: The best advise I can give you is to put them in an incubator!!

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  5. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Okay, then take the box in a dark room, and cover it so she's in the dark. Then, after she settles in, go check and make sure the chicks are covered, and put any loose eggs under her. If they stay under her overnight, you may still get some hatchers. It may be that she knows they are done. It might not. Time will tell, but once she's been on them overnight, she'll regain her calm, most likely. In the morning, she'll want to leave the tub, though, so if she has to jump out, you'll have issues. If you can, when you move her into the other room, you may want to tip it on its side like a cave. That gives her a better feeling about that location and she can come and go when it's uncovered. You can move it outside during the day, too, by putting the lid on to carry it sideways.

6. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    She can get in and out by herself... the babies couldn't get out but it's a bigger box and plenty of room for them to move. Or does she need to be able to get out w/ the babies?

I tried candling them tonight. one looked pretty clear (my daughter put a couple unfertile eggs under her trying to be helpful [​IMG] and we figured out one but not the other so we knew one wouldn't be fertile) but 2 of the other white ones looked dark except for the little air chamber but I couldn't tell much more than that. The brown eggs I couldn't see anything at all to tell if they were good or bad.

She has settled since I brought her in and the house has calmed. All babies are under her and they are all snug. There were still 2 eggs not by her so I moved them over by her and she has now got them up under her all but one piece of one sticking out. ... We'll see what happens. I'm happy to have 4 but I would love to see the others hatch too. I really wanted one of my blue cochins eggs to hatch but I"m afraid they won't... None of the 4 have done anything yet! [​IMG]

7. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    Quote:I don't have an incubator but I do have a heat lamp....

That's what I think was happening this afternoon. She was busy fussing at the 4 babies. The first one hatched 3 days ago so it's become adventurous and she was busy fussing at it and ignored the rest of the eggs. Not sure why she burried them in the wood chips though... maybe she thought covering them would keep them warm? who knows! They were pretty cold tonight so I hope they are ok. I guess we'll find out. I thought we were only gonna get 3 and #4 hatched this afternoon, so ???

8. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Broodies have an amazing sense of good/bad eggs. I once had an easter egger keep nocking a single egg out of her nest. I marked it and put it back under her 3 times before candling it and found it was the only one not growing under her. This was after she had set on them for some time. How she knew it was bad I dont know but I guess thats nature. If she is kicking eggs out they may not be anygood. Perhaps they died in the shell, that happens alot unfortunetly. You could try candling them to see if they are any good. With the other chicks hatched the other should at the very least be through the air cell you should see the beak in the aircell and it should be moving or they are dead. Unless you added eggs after a couple days of her sitting on the others anyways.

9. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    there could be a day or two that new ones were added. I tried candling them tonight. The brown eggs are hard to tell. But from what I can see in all of them. There is a prominant air sac and the rest of the egg is dark. I can't see if anything is moving but it is just all dark??? I almost dropped one and cought it and when I did you could feel something in it like if you were to pick up a plastic egg and shake it and feel the piece of candy move up and down? (if that makes sense) If there was a baby in there I hope i didn't harm it! [​IMG]

10. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    The babies do need to be able to get out with her. Hang on...going back to read the rest...

Okay, finished catching up.

I would make it so she can get out with the kids, but give her limited space so she doesn't go far. She should have feed and water nearby, so she can talk to them about eating and drinking without getting up. She does need to be able to get up to poop, though, and you should be prepared for it to be just as gross-smelling as the one the other day. If you have her in the house, it will make the whole house rank. I take mine outside and uncover her there, so she can get up, walk off, poop, and come back to the kids.

Another option is to pick her up and put her out in the yard, then afte she poops, bring her back to them. If feed and water is within reach, she may go about her mothering chores while sitting on the remaining eggs. The chicks in the shells ought to be creating their own body heat at this point, so they can survive periods of her leaving, but you should have a heating pad or something to use as a backup if she takes off all day with the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by