Need some advice re bringing hen in the house

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coachsue, Dec 17, 2010.

1. coachsue

coachsue New Egg

Dec 17, 2010
    Hi......I just found this forum and need some advice if there's anyone out there who can help with this..... I have a hen with a very poopy butt that---in warm weather---I soak and clean and turn her loose to dry. But we've had very early cold weather here, her bottom really needs to be cleaned, and I'm tempted to bring her into the house to wash and dry --- but I'm so afraid that she'll get too warm and catch cold when I put her back outside in the henhouse. (the vet has checked her poopiness and can't find anything wrong, so I just deal with it----apparently it's just the way she's shaped or how she carries herself, that her poop catches onto her feathers) Have any of you had to bring your hens inside in the winter for any reason? Thanks much for any advice! Do any of you have chickens with chronic poopy butt, and how do you deal with it? Thanks so much!!

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you dry her thoroughly before putting her back outside. I have two chickens that come and go as they please. One of them sleeps inside at night and is out during the day, the other one comes in to lay her egg every day. They do just fine when they go outside.

3. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Forgot to say [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you might also trim her feathers around the vent not close to the skin but enough that maybe the poo will not stick as bad, I have to do that to some of my hens also. [​IMG]

5. coachsue

coachsue New Egg

Dec 17, 2010
    Thank you all so much for your responses! It's about 35 degrees this afternoon, about the warmest it'll be all week, so I'm going to go ahead and bring her in to bathe her and yes, I do trim her feathers too when I bathe her bottom. Thanks again. sue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by