Need some advice very quickly, pertaining to pipping and the air sac

WRBH

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 13, 2008
Williford, AR
I have mentioned before I bought 18 eggs thru Ebay, The seller sent me 20, but 2 were cracked. I put 4 under each hen (they both have been setting a while now, so want them to ahve some luck) and had my guy put 10 in his family's incubator.
When I candled them a bit ago, had 2 under each hen that had moving chicks in them, and 2, with a small chance of a 3rd one, not sure loos kinda funny so not holding breath it will hatch.
Well they are due July 24th, so today decided to candle them for the last time. Well I have one egg pipping, can see the beak is thru membrane and is against the inside shell of the gg. You can hear it scratching it's beak aginst the egg and peeping, I'm excited but scared to death. Last 2that hatched, 1 hatched itself to early and died, the other was fully developed, and had hatched itself completly out. Found itright after it died (was still warm, and Mom had just seen the hen on the nest a few minutes before, the chick was away from the nest). Any ways I have helped a few other chicks hatch out this yr, ended up with 4 hens on the ame nest this yr, didn't realize that it was a bad thing to do, hens ended up attacking a chik just after it hatched, they all would have killed it if I hadn't intervened. Found peck marks all over the egg where they had pecked holes into it while chick was htching. After that when the last 3 eggs were due and started pipping brought them in the house and worked with them. They are ll fine, actually got my first frizzle from those 4, posted a pic of him earlier on here.
Question is how long after the chick starts peeping and scratching at shell should it hatch?? Or should I just keep an eye on it and if t seems to be wearing out, step in? I definatly do not want to just let nature take it's course in this cae, with only 6 hatching paid the equvilant of 10.00 each chick. But more then tha hate to see anything die. I'm also worrie because it isn't due for a few more days, but like I said, beak is thru membrane, also looks like, another part of it might be pushing down on it as well.
Second question, two of the egg tht I had seen moving, the air sac looked real funny. Instead of circling the bottom, the air sac membrane goes up and back down along one side, almost like an oval, instead of circle. Anyone know if that is normal?? Couldn't see any movement, but only looked a sec, wanted to get them back to their Mommies.
Thanks fo any help, really need it, bought 6 strait feathered chicks yesterday to go with these, realize might not match, but since these are frizzles, needed something else besides frizzles to breed them to next year. Thanks agin

You said you had these under a hen right? Well the best thing you can do is put all the eggs under them, and leave them alone until mother hen gets up. Hen has it just right and every time you lift her or look at an egg, humidity is lost and the egg cools. Those two things can make it hard to hatch. If you have a broody watching over them, just let her do her job and cross your finger for chicks. This goes the same for incubator hatching. Day 18 is the last candling and tie your hands behind yourself till day 22.

Pip to hatch can be 12 hrs, can be 72.

After a chick starts the pip and makes it, they will take a break that can vary from 2 hrs to 12 hrs then they will zip and hatch. The next question you had was about the odd shaped air cell, I think what you seeing is the saddle shaped air cell which is part due to shipping. I had two the last hatch of 18 eggs and they came through ok.
old.gif

I was also wondering, once a chick pushes it's beak thru the membrane, does it switch to breathing air, or does it still get oxygen from it's umbilical cord? (if that is what you still call it with chicks,lol) Just wondering because a bit worried if it switches to breathing thru beak what is the chnce of it running out of air? Thanks.

They wont run out of air. Shells are porous for oxygen exchange. Tying up your hands is the hardest but best thing to do. Often chicks need intervention because of intervention in the first place.

Thank you Eggseronious, the chick hatched out about 4pm yesterday, unfortunatly has a bunch of birth defects; Left eye is lower then rt, sunken in and smaller, looks like there is no eye there, Feet only have about a 1/3rd of the toe on the outside of both of them. Beak is cooked, and skull on left side top of head is soft (don't worry didn't put any pressure on it at all. Second chick hatched this morning, has same feet problem but so far that is it. Other hens eggs are making noise, so maybe will have more today, or tommorow. I posted pics on another post I made if anyone would like to see them.

Back
Top Bottom