Need some advice

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LVVCHAP, Nov 28, 2008.

  1. LVVCHAP

    LVVCHAP Chillin' With My Peeps

    93
    3
    94
    Jun 24, 2008
    PA
    Two of our White rock roosters recently began to fight. This morning one of them was bleeding and didn't want to get up. My question is do I go ahead and butcher him or is there a chance of him recovering?
     
  2. LVVCHAP

    LVVCHAP Chillin' With My Peeps

    93
    3
    94
    Jun 24, 2008
    PA
    I do have him separated from the others now.
     
  3. jeldridge6

    jeldridge6 New Egg

    7
    0
    7
    Nov 28, 2008
    I would not just go ahead and butcher him!
    First get him cleaned up and see what his damages are!
    Chickens have a very good recovery rate. If he can't recover on his own nature will take its course. You don't have enough hens around to keep both of your males busy.
    Animal love of all kinds....
     
  4. LVVCHAP

    LVVCHAP Chillin' With My Peeps

    93
    3
    94
    Jun 24, 2008
    PA
    Well he died yesterday afternoon. So I decided it was time to process a few. We had two White Rock roosters and the rest were RIR. The WR were that ones fighting so I decided it was time. I now have two RIR roosters and 14 hens. A sad day but I hope things will stabalize for a while.
     
  5. cmom

    cmom Hilltop Farm

    16,229
    679
    396
    Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    So sorry!
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by