Need some advice...!

southernhens15

In the Brooder
Nov 8, 2015
Louisiana
I bought some pyrethrin garden insect spray concentrate. My first question is- is this safe to use around my birds? I'd like to put it in and around all my coops. It is pyrethrins-1.00%, piperonyl butoxide,technical-10.000%. My second question is- what is a safe ratio to mix up that will be safe around my birds? Especially in the coops. Thank y'all!

There should be instructions on the label for mixing for poultry housing; if not, maybe it's not a good idea to use it. I found products at Tractor Supply labeled for use in chicken housing and on the birds, and products only labeled for other uses. Mary

There is no animal use directions on the bottle, that's why I wanted to make sure first. Thank you for the advice! :) I will be going to get some actual livestock pyrethrin.

I did a Google search and in about 15 seconds found that there is no difference in pyrethrins in regard to use around animals. In fact, there is recommendations to use it directly on livestock. Again with no stipulation on types of pyrethrins.

For years keepers of animals have been paying out the wazoo for products dedicated for cats and dogs, when we could buy the exact same formulation much cheaper if we would have purchased the identical product marketed for cattle, horses and pigs
I'm a restricted use pesticide applicator. I know the importance of following instructions. However, the government regulations are sooo strict on making the companies list all chemicals in the labeling. If there is a difference in formulation, it will be right in front of your eyes.

If you feel safer with the one marked for chickens, by all means you may go ahead and pay triple or more for an identical product.

In the case of pyrethrins, nowhere does any vet differentiate between brands or types. They even recommend putting a diluted mixture directly on birds for some infestations. Farmers, ranchers and hobbyist have for many years saved untold thousands by reading labels and saving a lot of money.

Having said all this. If it had a warning NOT TO USE on chickens or around chicken housing and chicken feed, I would heed these warnings.

Back
Top Bottom