1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need some advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LJoWilly, Oct 28, 2016.

1. LJoWilly

LJoWilly Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Hello everyone, I am new and just posted on the "Intro" thread...but I need some help.

I have one Black Australorp 28 weeks tomorrow. Not laying yet, so here is my problem...

She has always been slow to grow, comb and waddles not as big as her flock mates, within the last month and a half, she hasn't been going to roost with a full crop, almost empty. (I check everyone's crop in the AM, and PM) She doesn't seem to be as interested in scratching and pecking, and sometimes she just stands there fluffed up as if cold, and not much of an appetite.So this is what treatment she has received so far. Everyone else got the same treatment as it was all in their drinking water.

10-1 Wazine treatment. No real improvement

10-9 thru 10-13 Corid treatment..big improvement ate like no tomorrow, had full crop at PM, actually became food aggressive.

Now this past week she is acting iffy again...so I wormed her with Wormout Ge (2days).

My question is, could she possible had a strain of Cocci,that she has been battling with, noted stunted growth?

And could she have it again?

The rest of the girls are great, thriving and everyone looks in great health. No mites, or lice. I check their vents and feathers with a flashlight nightly.

What else should I try?

Thanks,
    Leanna

2. LJoWilly

Oct 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Bumping this up to see if anyone has any advice.

3. ravismomma

ravismomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2016
    Could absolutely be cocci. From experience, Corid in water isn't super effective if you have overload. There is no way to know she's drinking enough to kill the cocci.
    You would want to get px strength meds and give orally to guarantee she's getting the right dose.
    Treat for recommended amount of time. Then again in 3 weeks.

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Nutrition play a big role in Chicken health...What all are you feeding the birds??
    It will take weeks for a sick Bird to show symptoms....

Cheers!

5. LJoWilly

Oct 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Thanks everyone. They all eat New Country Organics soy and corn free layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by