Need some advice

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by abauer18, May 5, 2017.

1. abauer18

abauer18 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2015
    Hello! Our run was muddy so we decided to cover it with mulch. Well, that was a big mistake and lesson learned. It's been a rainy spring and our eggs are dyed from the mulch on their feet! What does everyone else cover their run grounds with? We are definitely not using mulch ever again!

2. Kellycbf

Kellycbf Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2017
    Midwest US
    mulch.

3. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    I use old grass hay. The older and coarser, the better. About 6 inches plus to start and keep adding as needed.

These are not my birds, but it is my hay they are running around on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. abauer18

Nov 2, 2015
    It won't smell if it gets wet?

5. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Am I correct in assuming you used store bought dyed mulch?

6. abauer18

Nov 2, 2015
    . It was from a mulch place and pretty sure it's dyed even tho we asked for undyed mulch. It's funny how every year you learn something new on how to better care for the chickens!

7. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    No. If you begin to sense a smell, and it looks muddy and nasty, time to add more hay. Birds run around on top, and droppings fall through or are "rinsed" down to the bottom, where the ground moisture combines with air (aerobic process) and the nitrogen from the droppings combines with the carbon from the hay to start a slow composting process. But the top of the hay stays clean and dry.

Over time, this is what is going on down below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. abauer18

Nov 2, 2015
    awesome thanks! We will be trying new stuff until we find something we like!

9. Kellycbf

Kellycbf Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2017
    Midwest US
    Quote:I did not even think about that. I would suggest calling a local tree service and asking to get a load of mulch delivered. Most do it for free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by