Need some advice

Igofastandwin

In the Brooder
Dec 23, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
We had a situation come up about a week or so ago where one of our girls; we have two, one is 14 weeks and the other is 11 weeks, somehow dumped over the automatic watering device we have in their coop ( a 3 gallon bucket with nipples on the bottom). No one got hurt, but where they used to use it all the time, after they dumped it we can't get either one to use it! They are only locked up at night and get to free range during the day. We have a water placed in the yard where they roam and soon as we let them out of the coop they go running for it. No matter how much the wife and I try to get them to use they one in their coop they refuse. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get them to use again??

Signed,
We are thirsty at home!!

The accident traumatized them, and now your chickens think the water container is a predator out to attack them. It's how they reason. If you can move that water to a different location, it would help.

If you can't relocate it, just put it back where it belongs and be patient. The chickens will figure out that it's not going to come after them, and they'll start to use it again.

If they have access to water all day while they are out and active, they should be getting enough water even without water in the coop at night.

I'm not sure about getting them used to the waterer again.

Is the waterer that is outdoors the same type of bucket with nipples, or is is different? Is it possible to bring the less scary one into the coop? and/or put the scary one that "attacked" them outside? hmm...

As long as they know they have water in another place, they probably won't use it. I would put it outside and see what happens and take the other waterer away.

Back
Top Bottom