need some advice???

happyfeet

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 24, 2007
we had an outbreak of what we are assuming to be infectious bronchitis in our 2 year old laying hens this past August. They were treated with antibiotics and all were better. their egglaying has diminished alot and i am going to butcher all and have my new batch in the spring. one hen is starting to hack a little, she is also very obese. could infectious bronchitis be back. can i eat my hens if they have had a sickness in the past?

When has the last dose of meds?

If you got two seasons out of your laying hens they are reaching the end of the productivness.

Do not forget to disinfect you coop before the ne flock arrives.

No, this is the right section, as the basic question is "can I eat my hens if they have had a sickness in the past?". Problem is, many people don't actually read a whole post before responding. Happyfeet, maybe put the above question in the title? (Sorry, not knowledgeable to answer, but I expect it's a qualified "yes".)

I did read the whole post before responding but the issue is she is not sure if it could be the bronchitis that has returned or if it is something else, which could better be diagnosed in the illness section.
She can then decide whether it is safe to butcher and eat the meat based on the illness the chickens have, there can be some serious respiraratory infections in chickens.
The people that frequent the illness forum are very knowledgeable on disease and illness and therefore I recommend it be posted over there first to diagnose before coming here to decide if its safe.
The question was not asked, "can I eat my chickens if they had a sickness in the past" and left at that, the poster asked if the infection could be back.
Maybe I am not the one that has not read the entire post.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom