Need some advice......

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Elite Silkies, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I am considering getting rid of all of my Silkies and concentrating on my Coronations and my Lavender Australorp Project. I think the Silkies are the main reason I cough all the time. I only have a few chicks left in the house, but I can't even mess with them or I start coughing really bad.

Do you think it could be the difference in the feathering? I never coughed before I got them, and I stayed in my Australorp cage constantly.

My coughing seemed to get better once the chicks were out of the house, but the other night I spent about an hour with the Silkies and thought I was going to have to go to the emergency room.

Or is it all in my head............ [​IMG]

I do love my Silkies, but I just want to start feeling better.

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Last winter I had one chicken in the house. It was only 2 weeks old when I brought it indoors due to bitterly cold weather and it was the only bird I had of that size. The amount of dust that the dander the bird created was unbelieveable. In late winter, my 83 year old mother develop what we thought was a cold that she could seem to break. Took her to the doctor and found out her coughing was due to bird dander. We removed the bird from the house and the cough was gone. I don't think that the amount of dander created would be much different from one chicken breed to another.

3. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Thanks Opa.... Mine started out just like your mom's, figured I was getting a cold or my Allergies were acting up again. But, after a few months, I figured it was the dander/dust they created, but just seemed like it was coming more from the Silkies, since my Aussie's never seemed to bother me at all. I also figured that once I got most of them outside, that it wouldn't bother me much at all anymore, but I guess I better start wearing my mask and get the rest of the babies out of the house soon.

I will make sure I only hatch if it is warm enough for them to stay outside with a heat lamp.

I think maybe I have too many Silkies too [​IMG] I lost count after 40 or so.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Poor Cammy. I'm such a horrible person. I read of your problem and the first thing I did was check mapquest to see if I was close enough to take some of those silkies off your hands. [​IMG]

Please forgive me. [​IMG]

5. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] That's okay, I would have done the same thing. It did give me a good laugh, although now I am coughing again, because I got so tickled. [​IMG]

I stay in pain because I cough so much. I just took some cough medicine and Lordy it was so gross [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by