1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need some advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Momma on a Mission, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Momma on a Mission

Momma on a Mission Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Seymour, IN
    My 5 week olds have been out in there coop for a week now. At first I would put them in there hen house that is off the ground with a ramp. Of a morning I would open the door and they all would come out by themselves. However, they will not go up the ramp at night to enter the hen house. [​IMG] They are sleeping on the ground and I'm afraid they may get too cold or sick. Our little roo [​IMG] goes up and down the ramp all day long but they will not go into the house????? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Dont know what the ramp looks like, maybe the ramp was tricky for them to get in. You will have to help them in and train them !![​IMG]

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You may have to put them in every night till they're older. Some young birds take a while to get the roosting instinct.

I wouldn't worry about 5 week olds being too cold this time of year, just predators.
    Last week I had two 10 day old chicks jump out of the coop at dusk and run into the woods and I could only find one.
    It was low 50s that night and I figured a goner between the cold and predators.
    The next morning it was back running around like it was a warm summer day.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  4. Momma on a Mission

Momma on a Mission Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Seymour, IN
    I just added pics on my first post.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Can you lock them in the coop for a week or so without letting them in the run at all? Chickens are creatures of habit. If they get in the habit of sleeping in the coop, they will start going in the coop on their own at bedtime. Another option is to move them in each night until they get the message. Or lure them in the coop with food sometime before dark and lock them in there.

It is not at all unusual for chicks to seek a fairly low place to huddle together at night before they start to roost. It seems to be instinctive for them to find a low sort of hidden (at least to them) place to sleep.

I've had brooder raised chicks start to roost as young as 5 weeks, but more normally mine start around 10 to 12 weeks. Some people have them not roosting until they are much older than that. I find that chickens are seldom consistent in what they do. Each flock or sub-group within the flock has its own dynamics.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Unless there is a good source of natural light on the two sides that don't show, that may be the problem. It looks like there is good ventilation but it might not let enough light in.

7. AV Brahmas

AV Brahmas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    The Great White North
    Your chicken pen looks more like a ferret cage than what it is supposed to be. Nothing wrong with it for long term use but the entrance is pointed into a corner and the ramp is a multilevel maze. Your chicks will eventually figure it out but it may take until they can fly to the entrance. There is just going to be a longer learning curve with this arrangement.

Keep putting them in until they get it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by