Need some advice.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nick123548, Jan 23, 2012.

1. nick123548

nick123548 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    NC/SC
    My 9 month old RIR hen had a big hard white ball of poop stuck in her vent earlier this week. I got it removed, and brought her in the house so I could keep an eye on her. I made a post about it and didn't get any response. I have had her inside for two days now. She still doesn't seem to be feeling well. She has been eating some, but she hasn't drank any water. What might be wrong with her, and what can I do? I took a stool sample in to the vet and had it checked for worms and it came back negative.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Does she lay eggs (thinking to rule out eggbound here)? If she is a layer but stopped laying in the past few days, then I'd maybe try doing the 15 minute warm water bath of her behind to try to get her to lay the egg.

I don't have any experience with eggbound hens, but have read about white poo with eggbound hens. I hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  3. nick123548

Jan 21, 2012
    NC/SC
    Thanks for the advice. I will give her a good soak. Looking at her hasn't solved the problem. We had a recent cold snap, and my flock cut there production in half so I don't know if she stopped or not.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  4. nick123548

Jan 21, 2012
    NC/SC
    That was apparently not the problem. I walked in to check on her this morning, and she was acting normal. She ate and drank all day, so I took her back to be with her friends. I did tag her so that I can keep an eye on her. I am thinking she must have eaten something she could not pass, and that set her back.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[​IMG]

I am so glad she is fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by