Need some assistance from other HIGH altitude hatchers...ASAP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WyoChickenMamma, Jun 4, 2012.

1. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Songster

Jul 6, 2011
    This is my first attempt at hatching shipped eggs. I have three sets of shipped eggs that all come from an elevation of less than 800 feet above sea level to my house which is about 5600 above sea level. I had read that humidity should be bumped to avoid moisture loss, but wasn't really sure where to set it. I started my first bunch of eggs out 8 days ago. I candled around day four and they looked perfect. I candled again last night and something just didn't look right. That is when I noticed the air sacs where huge, and I didn't see movement. Then it dawned on me that it could be from too fast/excessive moisture loss. I had the humidity set at 45%, the temp at 99.5. So we moved it to 65%. I just don't know if that is right or if I should be doing something else???? Those eggs that are on day 8 are in one incubator and in another I have eggs that I set on Saturday evening. I moved the humidity up on that incubator as well.

So what humidity do you have your set? What about at lockdown? Should I just keep it at 65% now throughout or bump it up a bit more doing lockdown? That seem so high, I don't want to drown them.

I am using a Brinsea Octogon 20 Advance EX and a Brinsea Ocotogon 40 Advance EX. My first hatch was 100%, but they were local eggs that my neighbor gave me, so no issue with the change in altitude.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

2. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Songster

Jul 6, 2011
    Well I read and read and read threads and articles yesterday searching for an answer. I really didn't find a specific answer. Seems there are just too many variables. I guess the best I can hope for is that I get some hatches with this batch. [​IMG]

3. rosiethechicken

rosiethechicken Songster

Aug 2, 2010
    I never read or paid attention to altitude issues.
    I think your biggest issue would be shipped nature of eggs.
    Altitude or not, shipped eggs generally suffer from all that shaking.

4. coloradogal

coloradogal Songster

Jul 5, 2011
    Have you had any answers? I just attempted a hatch with eggs from a lower elevation and had 1 out of 13 do anything. It seems to be similar to your problem. I am at 7200 feet. I am expecting in more and am now concerned that they won't make it.

5. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Songster

Jul 6, 2011
    I have read a lot of articles and I decided that I would try bumping the humidity up, to try to combat the rapid humidity loss. With the eggs I have going right now I had 10 silkie/showgirl eggs that arrived with all 10 having displaced air sacs. I started them right out at 65% humidity. But at day 8 I tossed 5 of the eggs...they just never grew. When I cracked them they were all just runny yolk. I think that was a shipping issue. It is so hard at this elevation. So I am going to try now to get eggs from other folks who are at high elevations. At least that will eliminate one of the variables. This weekend I actually drove nearly a 1000 miles to pick up some eggs. We made a fun family road trip out of it, but it is not feasible to do this all the time. I am really hoping that upping the humidity helps. I will post my results. I have some that are too hatch on Father's Day and then some to hatch on the two following weekends. :)

6. crazygrltalking

crazygrltalking Hatching

Feb 4, 2013
    The Four Corners, CO
    WyoChickenMamma,
    Did you have any luck when you upped the humidity? I'm about to start incubating eggs and I'm at about 6700 ft. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: