Need some Cheep Chicken Coop Plans

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ketcham, Apr 9, 2011.

1. ketcham

ketcham Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    Of course I don't want a major investment at this time.Need something cheep that I can move around[12 to 15 birds]Have a 3 1/2 acre yard,so free range when I'm outside[hawks and bad guys around]Thanks for the help!!!!Kevin in OhiO!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG]
    A tractor for that many chickens is going to be hard to move around. I made one last year for four chickens and it is pretty heavy. Do you have something that could drag it?

3. ketcham

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    Yes or move with a small tractor.I hope to build a 10x20 shed and put the coop off of it.Until then just need something to get them out of the weather and away from the bad guys[hawks raccoons foxes coyotes!!!] Thanks Kevin:)[​IMG]

4. ketcham

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    Going to bring this back to the top. [​IMG][​IMG] any ideas???thanks!!! Kevin

5. opalwednesday

opalwednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    if you subscribe to the mother earth news email they give you a link to a pretty nifty portable chicken run/coop

6. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    Go to the Purina Mills website - they have some nice free plans!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have the same kind of predator problems you do - ground-based and airborne. I built mine based on Purina's plan.

[​IMG]

ETA: It's not portable but I'm not sure you can build a portable that is predator proof - at least not against coyotes or large dogs.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  7. Watermelon_Gypsy

Watermelon_Gypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Funny - I was just on Mother Earth's facebook page looking for the article they shared recently b/c I too am trying to find cost friendly ways to build our coop & run - here is the link I believe the person before me was talking about & the same article I was looking for [​IMG]- Backyard Chicken Basics.

Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by