Need some coop/run ideas!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hamptons06, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    I am most likely getting 3 bantam silkie chicks pretty soon here and need some coop/run ideas. They will be inside my finished shed (finished meaning, electricity, heat, flooring etc). Here's a pic. http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/SHampton06/Family 2008/house-3.jpg I need to find some ideas for what to do inside. There is countertop and cabinets along the back wall which I can def use to put the nesting boxes on. I just am not sure what to do other than that. I am pretty sure I will lay down a large wood box of some sort for the floor and use the sand method. Anyone have any ideas for like perches and making something that will keep them in one area of the shed rather than just roaming everywhere??? [​IMG] Since I have HOA I will need a run that can easily be picked up and moved in and out of the shed. TIA!!

2. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
  3. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Quote:We bought the house and it came with it. It's a mini of what my house looks like. We love it too. [​IMG] It's not that nice inside. The cabinets are unfinished and the floor is concrete. Only the outside looks nice. [​IMG]

ETA: Holy cow that's a nice coop and run!! I can't build anything outside b/c of the HOA, which is why we decided to use the shed instead. It was a better option than keeping them in the garage. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  4. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

PhilErvin and Hampton06...both of your places look wonderful! That being said - Back to Hampton's request:
    We "chopped down" our children's tree house and converted it into a coop.
    [​IMG]
    I would consider sectioning off your house/coop. The existing counter and cabinents would be a great place to store grit, oyster shell, even feed if in a secure container. You can make your interior "walls" using 2x4 framing and the walls made of chicken wire. You can use this inside as it is not a predator barrier, just a chicken barrier! Three banties would not "need" more than 15 square feet...more is always great tho. By sectioning off the interior, you can have rooms for your banties, and standards you plan may decide to get, a brooder area....you know you'll get addicted like the rest of us:lol:

I would suggest looking at some of the interiors posted here...search for nesting boxes, perches, etc. Personally, I have my nesting boxes in rows of two, two high (four total) inside my coop. This allows me to check on my chickens etc while I collect eggs. The lowest box is about 14" (maybe as high as 18") off the ground. The droppings board is about 3' high, with two roosts above it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We made our run permanent, but if you have HOA issues, you may want to make a tractor that you can move around, so it would not be considered an permanent improvement on you property.
    [​IMG]

Those are just a couple of suggestions..do some perusing on the coop section though. There are some great ideas here!

edit: Just realized how bare the run looks! We reclaimed some of the woods, which was loaded with poison ivy. Since both DH and DS are highly allergic to it (luckily, I'm not!) I cleared it first before they moved the coop to it's present location and installed the run. I would have loved to have it on the grass!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=167-Minnesota_Coop

The minnesota coop has great partition ideas!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    If you will only be getting Silkies then you don't need any roosts really. They don't use them half the time anyway.

For several weeks you could easily get away with laying down a sheet of linoleum and obtaining a simple cat carrier as house/nesting area. Use a small animal pen such as this one that you can step over easily to contain them. Silkies never fly, so they will always be contained by this inside.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...00000003260550&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8056017

(For Silkies get a cheaper shorter one - I have something like this made of 2 foot high hardware cloth and it is easier to step over than 3 feet or 4 feet high - you will like it better if it is easy to get over. The advantage of home made hardware cloth barrier is that even little babies can't get out - of course you could wrap your pen in hardware cloth later if that became an issue.)

If your yard is well fenced you could even use something like this as a tractor when the weather is nice.

DO NOT try this set up with any other type of chickens!! They will be over it in a flash!!!!!

6. Hamptons06

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
  7. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Those will work!

The reason I say "if your yard is fenced" is because if they are out in that portable pen and a neighbor's dog comes running along, it could be knocked over fast and the chickens could be lunch! So you have to be out there with them the whole time, and even then, the dog could get past you...

When nesting time comes they will want a smaller space like a cat carrier. Just watch the local craigslist - someone is always selling them cheaply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by