Need some creative advice....

mommto3kiddos

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
My broody is a PITA when it comes to feeding. For some reason she likes to sling the feed all over the brooder/pen.. She is a scratching fool!!! The thing is the chicks are having a hard time finding it in the shavings.. When I refill the feeder they run to it like they are starving.. I have tried everything from putting it in a bowl to this kinda feeder...
0000.jpg

So for my creative thinkers, give me some ideas on how to keep momma hen from starving her babies
wink.png

Here's a thought for your consdieration--- take some water and wet the food down. You will of course make sure that it doesn't sit and go bad. My chooks-- REALLY like a few drops of water in their feed.

Good luck. Post back what works for you in the end so we can all learn from your hen. ;O)

Here is my answer. I move all the shavings to 2/3 of the cage like this
102768_1320438299088.jpg

and the feeder is in a pan that they can not scratch in but sideways and it falls into the pan and can not be wasted nor can wood chips can get in easy
102768_1320437375190.jpg

I have a feeder like that. I ended up drilling a hole in the plastic top part and hanging it up. Maybe if you did that AND put a flat pan (like a rectangular jelly roll pan) underneath?

For feed slingers, I hang the feeder above a large clay or ceramic planter base, larger than the feeder. Most of the feed ends up in there and the chicks can then find it. Because the feeder is hanging just over the base, the hens can't stand in it and scratch the feed out.

You could also build something the chicks can go into to eat with openings too small or low for the hen.

Like other poster's said you could build something the hen cannot get into but the chicks can. or you could use a metal 9x13 baking pan and set the feeder in it. thus the food will not be wasted and the chicks will still be able to get in and out of it to eat. When I have the chicks in my brooder I use a piece of plywood under the feeder, but downfall is I have to clean it off a lot and change it weekly (my DH get lots of construction left overs so we have tons of it piled up tho).

You all are AWESOME!! Thanks for the ideas.. Tonight I poked a whole in the top of the feeder and hung it in the pen.. If that doesn't work I found an old shoe box and I will make a little chick hideout so they can go in and eat...

Ill let you know which one works
big_smile.png

I have always used a trough feeder, like the metal ones at the feed store, with a removable top and holes down both sides of the top. I set it on a piece of board that is larger than the feeder and put a couple screws in it. The broody will still scratch some out with her beak, but there will be plenty for the chicks. The board keeps her from tossing the feeder........Pop

Back
Top Bottom