Need some day-old chicks in CA ASAP!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Shrader, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, today is day 23 that my poor broody hen has been sitting on the last of her eggs.
    She has 3 Ameraucana eggs left out of 8. And I don't think they are going to hatch.
    I hate to think of her not being a mother, so I'm hoping to buy some babies and put them under her.
    The soonest I can get any from the hatcheries I've used before is mid- to late- next week.
    Anyone know where I can get 3 brand new chicks sooner than that? Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  2. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Shrader,
    Did you check with Pips and Peeps? You can also go the Ameraucana Club site and post a wanted post. There are memebers in California and there is also a members list on the left of the site. These are real Ameraucanas not EEs. HS

3. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I am in California and had my broody set for 31 days. I got on the yellow pages and called every feed store within 40 miles. One did have chicks.

You can call all of them and find out if they have any. I got two for my broody and she is doing well.

Hope this helps,
    Ellie

4. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    Were in CA are you?

5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If your local feed store doesn't have them, try the 4H.

6. Shrader

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks everyone.

Shaffer: Pips and Peeps won't ship the few number of chicks I want, but I'm checking with the A Club. Thanks for the tip.

Ellie: 31 days, wow! Good to know. I'll definitely find something for her by then.

S n M: I'm in Los Angeles.

7. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    Shrader,
    last week i was at the Red Barn in San Fernando Valley (Oxnard/Reseda) and they had chicks. give 'em a call and see if they have some this week!
    good luck [​IMG]
    j

8. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    Well if you want a white silkie chick that was born yesterday hes yours for $10

9. Shrader

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks J, I'll check the Red Barn out. (I've never even heard of them -- thanks for the good tip.)

Sorry S n M, I can't have males. I should have specified that. Thanks anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by