Need some directing to understand breeds and breeding..

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mtngrl812, Apr 20, 2011.

1. mtngrl812

mtngrl812 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am new to this chicken raising stuff and I find the range of colors chickens come in to be just amazing [​IMG] never knew there were so many colors. I am hatching some eggs from various breeds now so I can have a colorful flock.

What I would like to know is where can I find information explaining how to breed for a specific trait. How do people breed for coloring? How do you breed for temperament? What about breeding for size and build? What breeds can you cross and not risk development issues?

If you guys could help me out and lead me in the right direction for understanding breeding and genetics I would appreciate it [​IMG]

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    what breeds and colors do you have to work with and what is your goal ?

3. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    Read some of the specific breed threads and you'll pick up info as you go.

I have some mixed chickens (ex: my Olive Eggers are mixes between black copper Marans x Ameraucana [an OE] roo and a Welsummers roo over Ameraucana hens); however, it is better to keep your breeds pure and bred to The Standard.

To breed for a specific trait, like broodiness for example, you'd select a breed known for that trait, and then cull those who don't exhibit it best. (just a brief explanation -- you'll find it gets MUCH more complicated).

Just learn in bits and pieces and soon you'll have the whole picture.

4. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:What do you mean by "better"?

5. youngbiddy

youngbiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    North Carolina
  6. happytxchick

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    Perhaps the correct word is "best." Is that what you're trying to get me to say?

Some folks just keep chickens for hobby/eggs/eye candy and don't care about investing the $ to breed to Standard. While it is BEST to do so, I understand why some people don't.

7. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:I agree that if anyone is breeding a breed that has a written standard for it, then they should follow it. However, not all breeds are accepted and some people enjoy breeding mutts.

8. happytxchick

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    Quote:I agree that if anyone is breeding a breed that has a written standard for it, then they should follow it. However, not all breeds are accepted and some people enjoy breeding mutts.

well, there ya go... [​IMG]

Since our mtngrl here is trying to understand, I thought I'd clarify for her before she gets in over her head with mixed breeds and wishes she hadn't. Like muddyhorse said, she needs a long-term goal (if she wants one, and it kind of sounds like she does).

Mtngrl...let us know. [​IMG]

9. mtngrl812

mtngrl812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Until I have eggs hatch and actual chickens running around I wont know what I will have to work with, but I very much like the Wyandottes and Sussex breeds. The fluffy faced EE are very cute too. I am curious though as why there are BLRW but not that coloring in the Sussex? And what would happen if you crossed a L. Sussex with a Golden Lakenvelder - just as example? Although reading about about keeping breed type and comb in the same grouping makes since.

I understand a bit about breeding horses or dogs, but there are many more variables with chickens it seems. I was really wanting to understand how you breed for... say the laced feathering. Can any breed reach this coloring? What do you look for specifically to get that coloring and what are the chances of that out come? You know.... some of the science behind it. Also, if I did decide to raise a specific breed, where could I find the info about the breed standards? I guess that would be on that breeds website, right? I never see chickens for sale in this area, only the Easter chicks in the feed stores. Maybe there are organization here that sell birds amongst themselves, but I have never heard of them. We do have a very large County Fair and I might be fun to enter a well breed bird to see what happens. But I don't know if I will go that far, depends on money and all.

I feel as though finding pretty birds and hatching eggs is only the tip of the iceberg, and I would like to understand a little more about it.

Thank you guys for the help. I shall keep reading and inquiring so I can learn more.

10. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by