Need some eggs to put my green chile on

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by greenchile, Jan 24, 2014.

1. greenchile

greenchile Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    Albuquerque, NM
    After multiple years of my wife trying to convince me we should get chickens, I finally agreed it might be fun and rewarding. We live in Albuquerque, NM and the city allows up to 15 chickens (way more than I want). We saw a pretty slick coop at Sam's club we are thinking about buying so we can keep 2 or 3 of them. We live in typical tract housing with a fairly small lot and yard so I don't want to go overboard. I'm hoping this will be a fun experience and education for our home-schooled 10 and 12 year-old daughter and son as well.

I do have a little experience with raising chickens because my mother and step-father had many of them during my childhood. But I lived with my father so it wasn't much experience except when I visited in the summer. I'm looking forward to learning the basics and maybe getting connected with the local backyard chicken community for help, advice and acquiring some chickens.

- Marc

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!!

Here here!...Down here in Alto New Mexico!!! Great to have another New Mexican on board! When I read the title to this thread about needing eggs for your green chilies, I just KNEW you had to be from NM!! [​IMG]

So glad you could join and enjoy BYC!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh...and love the Balloon Fiesta avatar you have! [​IMG]

4. greenchile

Jan 24, 2014
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks for the warm welcome. TwoCrows, I spend a fair amount of time in Ruidoso because my in-laws have a vacation home in the White Mountain Meadows subdivision right off Gavilan Canyon Road, really close to Alto. Could we stop by and see your chickens and coop the next time we are down there? My wife's been pretty excited to start raising chickens so she always enjoys seeing people's flocks and coops.

Does BYC have sections in the forum for local discussions/forums? I've looked but haven't found anything yet.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  8. greenchile

Jan 24, 2014
    Albuquerque, NM
    Kelsie2290, thanks for pointing me in the direction of a local forum.

9. NinjaRooster

NinjaRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2013
    The Corner
    [​IMG]

Like it was previously stated, I saw Green Chile in the tittle and just new where that had to be.
    I'm from just outside of Albuquerque; although I haven't lived there for several years. Homeschooling in that city is completely necessary!

Send some of that chile this way please!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by