Need some electric guitar advice for playing rock music.

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by reveriereptile, Jul 25, 2010.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. Thought it was probably considered a hobby. I'm going down to visit my parents next week and I have a old cheap electric guitar and a drum set that I am thinking of bringing back. I never really got to play either. The drum set I got for Christmas one year but my sister had a baby in the house so I didn't want to wake her. The guitar I didn't know how to tune and finally got a tuner and the strings were old and broke. My dad had boughten me some new strings but I never put them on. I also only had a small amp that clips on the belt. Not even worth using. My question is to play electric guitar solos like from Metallica songs what type and size of amp do I need and what else? My MIL bought my husband an Esteban acoustic guitar that came with an amp but don't know anything about it. My husband learned part of Green Sleeves from one of his tapes that came with it but he is like me that likes the electric rock sound better so he might play the guitar. I don't want to spend thousands on something to start out with till we know that we are going to really put time and effort towards playing. If we like playing then we will buy better stuff. We want something that will make it sound decent like what you think of an electric guitar sounding like. I'm new to all the music stuff. I actually prefer drums more since I always loved watching the drummers play but I do love the sounds of the guitar.

2. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I looked around online and it seems that the amp that came with the Esteban guitar is a 10 watt. I'm assuming that isn't going to be enough for what I want.

3. paulsmuffen

paulsmuffen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Jacksonville,NC
    We bought my son an Estaban, he played alot of his rock, heavy metal music on it. It is accually a really good set up for someone wanting to learn. We bought it probally around 2 christmas's ago and we just bought him a huge upgrade, a marshall amp and a 6 string bass. We purchased it from musicians friends store on line. I hope this was helpful.

Kim

4. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Thanks for the information. I did do some internet surfing about amps and the Line 6 15W Spider IV seems affordable and the sound samples seemed good even though I know it will depend on the guitar also. We will probably try the guitar out on the amp we have and if we want a different one we will check the music store out and bring the guitar with us to test it on the amps.

5. bsruther

bsruther Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Line 6 would work for someone learning how to play. You could also get a Roland Cube amp. In my opinion, they sound better than the Line 6 and probably a little cheaper. There are lots of free online lessons, to help you learn to play. Youtube is one good source for those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by