Need some fast advice Please!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sorin, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I have a Bantam Cochin Hen that is broody and I will be introducing 4 baby chicks to her today. The chicks will be here in an hour or so, I thought I had everything covered when it occurred to me I have one question. Should I feed and water the babies before I put them under her? They will be 2 days old when they arrive by mail today and I know mother hens usually won't get off the nest usually for the first day after they hatch, I don't want them to go that long without food and water but I also don't want them to imprint on me. Any suggestions? I do have a brooder set up in case this doesn't work out. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Sorin

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Expecting the call in a half hour, I've searched the old threads and I can't find anything on this [​IMG] I can't believe I didn't thinkof the is before [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Have water and food handy in front of Mom. Mom will leave the nest when the lil ones start wandering and she will teach them what to do.
    Best to add them at night when all are quiet and sleepy so no one knows what is happening.

4. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Be careful if you are introducing them while everyone is awake. She may attack them. Take is slow and easy slipping them under her one at a time and judge her reactions.

5. Sorin

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Thanks! I wanted to do it at night, just not sure if the chicks will accept a momma after being in a brooder all day, what do you think?

6. Sorin

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Quote:Yes, I was going to let her hear the peeping from nearby for an hour or so then judge her reaction.

Oops, I didn't mean to quote myself [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by