need some gender help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by blkpoodles, Nov 19, 2011.

1. blkpoodles

blkpoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Winsted, CT
    hi, i got these 2 red sexlink today, was told they're about 6 weeks old, hoping they're both females or at least 1 female. can someone help me with sexing them please.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    they were hard to get a pic of, little camera shy i guess lol

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The whole point of sex-links is the sex is linked to the color. Well, actually the other way round, but you get my drift. The hens are red/gold, the roos are white/silver. Those are both hens. This is assuming they are first generation, probably from a hatchery. If you bought them from someone who is breeding sex-link to sex-link, the whole linkage is off and you'll just have to wait a little bit.

3. blkpoodles

Sep 5, 2011
    Winsted, CT
    thanks, i know they're link to color but just didnt know how. the guy gave them to a class to hatch and they gave them back after being hatched and he couldnt keep them and didnt know how to sex them. where he got the eggs i have no clue
    Quote:

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i'm thinking a hen and roo (but they both look like pullets right now)

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    So cause you can't verify they're first gen sex-links, just post pics in a few more weeks. I'm not seeing anything screaming roo right off, but it's really too early to tell.

6. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    They both look like girls to me. I have two Red Star Sex-Link hens and one was quite lighter in color than the other, like yours. Let me see if I have a photo.....

Here we go! I think they were about a month old in this photo:

[​IMG]

7. blkpoodles

Sep 5, 2011
    Winsted, CT
    that's what mine look like!! i've had red sexlinks before but they were adults and all red. the lighter one threw me off but is sooo pretty. donrae feather and crest wise they're the same, just feather color
    Quote:

8. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I also have 2 red sex links, both supposed to be female ( and I am certain they are) one has much more light coloring, the other nearly all red with just a little white.

9. blkpoodles

Sep 5, 2011
    Winsted, CT
    if these two are def girls then i'm gonna be very happy. if not then guess they'll gave to be given away lol cant have a farm full of males
    Quote:I also have 2 red sex links, both supposed to be female ( and I am certain they are) one has much more light coloring, the other nearly all red with just a little white.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They are both pullets - though it looks like you got 1 sex link and 1 production red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by