Need some good hatching vibes!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ethingtonart, Apr 17, 2011.

1. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    I am practically wearing a groove in my floor in front of my incubator.

I took eggs from a broody to incubate in my incubator. I was unaware though of how far along they were and have been candling like crazy trying to figure it out. Last night I decided to move some to the hatching incubator, and not 5 minutes later one of them was rocking!!! They had been turned that day, and were at 58% humidity. (still air incubator, BTW) I was absolutely panicked!!

So...I bumped up the humidity as fast as I could, and crossed my fingers. [​IMG]

Now the waiting is killing me. More eggs have started rocking, but the first one who started rocking at 10:30 still hasn't pipped, and geez it is making me nervous! Do you suppose they will be okay?

So here I am, on BYC, hoping that by the time I click submit I will finally have a pip.

2. MountainChickenMama

MountainChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Good Luck!!![​IMG]

3. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Good luck! I have a feeling they'll be just fine. [​IMG]

4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Why take eggs in advanced stage from broody to a bator?

Unless you like extra work, risk and unnecessary stress?

5. ethingtonart

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    I took them from the nest as soon as I discovered it on April 8th, and now I am moving some of them from the incubator to another incubator to hatch. (She had let other hens continue to lay eggs in there so I have a variety of ages of development.) I couldn"t let the hen hatch them because I need to vaccinate the chicks.

This was totally unplanned. Normally I am much more organized than this. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  6. ethingtonart

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
    I wanted to add an update for other people concerned about the time it can take for an egg to go from rocking to pipping.

Well, my little number 38 started rocking at 10:30pm Saturday night and didn't pip until Tuesday around 3:45pm. That's about 65 hours! I didn't think it would take so long! And she is just now starting to zip (about 19 hours after pipping) what a slow poke! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by