1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need some guidance

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stephanie R, May 2, 2016.

1. Stephanie R

Stephanie R Chillin' With My Peeps

My one year old Buff Orpington has not laid an egg in a couple days. I'm not sure how long exactly since I just returned Thursday night from a 10 day trip. But yesterday she made a nest in the igloo I have in their run for weather/hawk protection, and she sat in there for a good hour, but no egg. This morning she was in the nest box and was in there for quite a while, but no egg.

She is eating, not walking funny, her comb is rosy, and she seems normal in every way. Ideas?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are concerned, catch her and do an external palpation to see if you feel any obvious egg shaped/size masses. If you feel any and/or she develops any of the more classic signs of binding go on to an internal check. She may just be on a brief break, it happens....and, yes, they will often "go to nest" even when they don't have an egg to lay that day. You just got back from a trip, are you the primary caregiver and/or in your absence would there have been a change in their routine? Some girls are more sensitive to those things than others and she may be reacting to that.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  3. Stephanie R

I did externally feel around her vent area, and there did seem to be a hard roundish shape, but when I felt my other Buff, it felt the same. I will wait until tomorrow and see if there's any change and then I may give her a sit in a tub of warm water.

Thanks for your quick response. Keep your fingers crossed that it's nothing.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd give her some time.....you being gone was a 'change' (provided you are usually the primary keeper) and they don't much like that.

5. Stephanie R

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  6. Stephanie R

They have all been acting a bit strange. Fussing and squawking and bah gawking. I had no idea they were so sensitive to change.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Especially if the 'normal' schedule of care changed and the person was a 'stranger'.
    They'll settle back in pretty quick tho.

8. Stephanie R

She was a stranger. Her first time with them. I've been home four days - wouldn't that be enough time for them to re-adjust?

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    It can take weeks to return to normal after a disruption

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by