Need some guidance.

Silkie Jax

Chirping
Aug 26, 2020
Good Morning
I am hatching out 12 eggs in the "Nuture Right 360"
My temp is perfect at 99.5 but I can't get the humidity down to 50% šŸ˜Ÿ.

I'm on day 5 with 16 to go. If I keep at this humidity will they be successful?

I have read different % any where from 30% to 66% for the first 18 but the instructions say keep it between 47%-55%. :confused:

Good Morning
I am hatching out 12 eggs in the "Nuture Right 360"
My temp is perfect at 99.5 but I can't get the humidity down to 50% šŸ˜Ÿ.

I'm on day 5 with 16 to go. If I keep at this humidity will they be successful?

I have read different % any where from 30% to 66% for the first 18 but the instructions say keep it between 47%-55%. :confused:
Oops forgot to say... My humidity is always in the 60's range.

Are you running zero water?
Eggs themselves make humidity. I was advised to try dry incubating. Keep it above 20% until lockdown.

Iā€™m on day 1.5 of my very first hatch too. I think a NR360 is in my future. My yescom is very finicky and fluctuates too much for my liking. I am between 22-30% dry.

I usually incubate in a nurture right 360. I've had very good results from my own flocks eggs.

I agree running dry may be your best bet. As long as you don't go below 20% you should be fine (I've had it go a bit lower with no issues but I feel better if it stays above 20, if it dips below I'll add some water in port A). If the air cells start looking a little large you can fill port A to compensate. It's always a good idea to check air cells on day 7 and 14 and adjust humidity if needed at those times.

I love my nurture rights. Usually I have really good luck running dry (humidity swings from around 20% - 45% usually averaging around 30% where I live). Some eggs are going to require more humidity and some less (things like porosity can have a big impact). Which is why it is good to base what humidity may be needed off of air cell growth and not just go with a set humidity. :)

Here is a chart that shows around where you want the air cell to be on days 7,14, and 18 (not mine I just found it through google image search). A little too large is safer than a little too small.

air cell.png

Good luck with your hatch!

Last edited:
I usually incubate in a nurture right 360. I've had very good results from my own flocks eggs.

I agree running dry may be your best bet. As long as you don't go below 20% you should be fine (I've had it go a bit lower with no issues but I feel better if it stays above 20, if it dips below I'll add some water in port A). If the air cells start looking a little large you can fill port A to compensate. It's always a good idea to check air cells on day 7 and 14 and adjust humidity if needed at those times.

I love my nurture rights. Usually I have really good luck running dry (humidity swings from around 20% - 45% usually averaging around 30% where I live). Some eggs are going to require more humidity and some less (things like porosity can have a big impact). Which is why it is good to base what humidity may be needed off of air cell growth and not just go with a set humidity. :)

Here is a chart that shows around where you want the air cell to be on days 7,14, and 18 (not mine I just found it through google image search). A little too large is safer than a little too small.

View attachment 2308490

Good luck with your hatch!
Thank you both!
It's scary but I will try it down below 40% and candle tomorrow.

Ive been keeping my water in slot A full because as soon as it opens up it drops to low 40s. So I'll update tomorrow evening on my findings :fl

So I did my candling and I had 7 viable eggs. Then I dropped one :hit:hit:hit:he so now I think I have 6 Out of 13.

Ive been searching all night to figure out if the dark masses are supposed to move when turned or stay against the sides like a placenta???

I'm so mad at my self.
It was my only viable sex-link out of 5. But I'm hoping the other 6 Silkies are good.

So I did my candling and I had 7 viable eggs. Then I dropped one :hit:hit:hit:he so now I think I have 6 Out of 13.

Ive been searching all night to figure out if the dark masses are supposed to move when turned or stay against the sides like a placenta???

I'm so mad at my self.
It was my only viable sex-link out of 5. But I'm hoping the other 6 Silkies are good.

Aww I'm so sorry about the little sex-link. Accidently dropping an egg is a very common mistake I hope you won't beat yourself up about it too much. :hugs

It is day 6 today correct? They shouldn't be stuck to just one spot (although it can sometimes take them awhile to move so it may appear that way). Sometimes they do get stuck though. I've found the ones who are firmly stuck and don't move at all often have more issues developing a healthy blood vessel network. This is a disadvantage but I've had them hatch before. If by day 18 the blood vessels are around the entire egg (other than the air cell of course) then they should be just fine. :)

When you say dark masses is that the embryo? There should be some nice clear blood vessels by day 6 and you may see the little embryo bobbing around at this time.

Dark clumps that don't move and an absence of blood vessels indicates an embryo that has died.

I use a little shot glass full of water in my incubator and that keeps the humidity at 30%. It goes too high if I use the water wells. 30% works for me though last hatch I had to bump it up to 40% for the last week (so I used a lid off something - not my water wells) before lockdown because my eggs were losing a bit much weight (I weigh my eggs to track moisture loss).

As long as you can see veins it's all good and there's nothing to worry about. In the first week they turn into a bloodring if the egg stops developing. Here are a couple of links to great articles about candling with helpful photos to compare with what you are seeing:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ion-through-incubation-of-chicken-eggs.47879/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/development-of-a-chicken-embryo-day-by-day.72537/

Aww I'm so sorry about the little sex-link. Accidently dropping an egg is a very common mistake I hope you won't beat yourself up about it too much. :hugs

It is day 6 today correct? They shouldn't be stuck to just one spot (although it can sometimes take them awhile to move so it may appear that way). Sometimes they do get stuck though. I've found the ones who are firmly stuck and don't move at all often have more issues developing a healthy blood vessel network. This is a disadvantage but I've had them hatch before. If by day 18 the blood vessels are around the entire egg (other than the air cell of course) then they should be just fine. :)

When you say dark masses is that the embryo? There should be some nice clear blood vessels by day 6 and you may see the little embryo bobbing around at this time.

Dark clumps that don't move and an absence of blood vessels indicates an embryo that has died.
We saw some bobbing around. I've attach a photo of the masses I'm questioning.

Attachments

• 20200828_211805.jpg
    20200828_211805.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200828_211735.jpg
    20200828_211735.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200828_211707.jpg
    20200828_211707.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom