Need some hatching help! ASAP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jennn27, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Jennn27

Jennn27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    Updated with pictures thus far.

I have an egg that I have incubated for almost two weeks....but today is day 28 in total. AND it zipped this morning! I also didn't have an incubator, so I did it old school style with a basket, brooder thermometer, and a heat lamp! [​IMG] And to my shock....it started pipping this morning is and is working it's way out of the shell! I had given up hope.

Anyway...my question is....I'm leaving for a week tomorrow. I originally had no intent on hatching eggs this close to vacation, but my little buff gave up on it. [​IMG] This is why I was in no way prepared. lol Would it be safe for me to bring it with me? We are driving 5 hours tomorrow to the beach and will be staying in a beach house. I do have someone coming to house/animal sit for me, but not sure if she can handle this, too. I am a new "tiny baby" momma....never hatched before this little one.

Thanks so much!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

i don't think it would be good to take a hatching egg that far, it might hatch before you go though

3. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    Oh yeah...I didn't mean taking the egg itself. Sorry for the confusion. But, once it hatches....should I try to take it? As long as it hatches before I leave?? I mean, right now it's not pipping, but I can hear it rattling around in there. I haven't helped it at all.

4. Poultry parent

don't help it unless you must, i think you could probably take the chick if it's dried itself off by then

5. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    OK. I may talk to my friend who is staying here. I mean she has had chickens before, so maybe she can handle it.

6. Poultry parent

good luck!

7. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    Thank you!

8. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX