Need some help/advice please. **Pics included**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by csummer8882, Dec 15, 2011.

1. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    I have 6 girls, all have been lovely since they came to me as 1 day olds back in April. Most started laying back in August. A few weeks back, one of my girls comb and wattles had started going a paleish color, more pink than red. Seemed weird to me since they have always been red. Then, her neck was nothing but feather quills. I spent a lot of time at the coop, looking for pecking and checking for bugs. Nada. Her neck has started growing feathers back but her comb and wattles are still pale. She eats and drinks normally and noone seems to bug her. I have attached a few pics for you all to peek at. Any ideas? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this last one, her with a few other girls so you can compare comb colors.

[​IMG]

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Looks to me like she is molting. That is exactly how my youngest hen is right now. Her comb is also paler than usual. Is yours still laying? Mine quit laying around 2 wks before the molt.

3. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    They're molting, don't worry about it.

It's totally normal for the bird's comb to become pale during a molt,
    & the quills are the new feathers growing in. Molt usually lasts anywhere
    from 2-5 months.

Good luck!

Edited because I suck at typing..

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  4. csummer8882

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    Molting already even though they are only 8 months old? Wow, ok, I thought that it was much later than this. I read that they have a few "mini molts" before adulthood but nothing like this. Right now, I am only getting 3 eggs a day out of 6 girls but I attributed that to the lack of light we are getting into now. I didnt install lights at the coop so it starts getting dark right around now. [​IMG] Thank you!

5. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Yep, they can molt at 8 months old. Some hens will quit laying, some will not. The amount of eggs she
    lays may decrease, however. Her molt will be over soon. Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  6. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    two of my 8 month olds are molting too, they both have pale combs and have covered my yard in feathers. My cochin has been molting for over three months now! My cuckoo maran just started two weeks ago. Can't wait for them to get their feathers back and lay again, I am down to only three layers with them out of commission. At least they are not all molting together [​IMG]

7. csummer8882

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    Awesome! Thank you soo soo much everyone! [​IMG] I appreciate it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by