Need some help and pictures

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by crj, Mar 21, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    My husband and I built a coop for our chickens. I wanted the nest box on the outside so I could life the lid and get the eggs. It never got finished which became a problem because of leaking. Needless to say I took it all apart and sort of started over with the help of my daughters boyfriend. I am stumped on how to do the lid. In my head it seems easy enough but I can't seem to put it into play.

If anyone has pictures of the external nest box where the lid lifts up I would love to see how you did it where it doesn't leak. I would really like to do it right this time.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I don't have outside nest boxes for that same reason, but have you checked the coops page for ideas. There's some pretty good ones on there.

3. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    flashing! and a piano hinge [​IMG]

If you have a piece of flashing between the last piece of siding and the lid it will help. if you aren't using siding then maybe put the flashing on and caulk it along the top edge to keep the water from getting under it.

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I don't have siding on my coop. It's painted plywood. I know people have made some nice external nestboxes and have pictures. Someone HAS to post some of them. Please? I've seen some great coops but you can't see how the nest boxes were done. I'll be patiently waiting for pictures. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by