Need some help Bantan hen is currently hatching and area is covered with ants

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amywynn1, Oct 4, 2012.

1. amywynn1

amywynn1 New Egg

Oct 4, 2012
    Hi, this is our first time hatching (ito be honest I never thought she would hatch them). My bantam hen hatched her first chick while I was away this evening. They are in an outside coup/run. My teenage son went out to do our nighttime lockdown and saw the broken egg and eventually the chick near mom. He noticed the chick was moving about and covered with ants, it was still damp. He picked the chick up and got the ants away from it bringing it indoors and holding it against his body until we got home (approx 10 minutes) at which time we set the chick up in a tub with a heat lamp. so I guess I have 2 questions. 1) Is this chick going to be okay? 2) what do I do about mama and the remaining eggs or possibly chicks? When I went out to check on them the area was crawling with ants.. it is 9pm here right now and I am worried about ants and predators at this point, what do I do? Is it safe to move them??? sorry this is super huge and I am kind of freaking out.

2. Texasmja

Texasmja Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    This happened to me when my duck was hatching her eggs. The ants were horrible! They are after the eggs shells. Remove those shells asap. And watch the ones pipping, the ants will crawl right into the hole and start eating. Good luck. I suggest moving her and her eggs into a carrier in the house if you can...of course make her a new clean nest with hay. She would need to be in a private quiet place.

3. amywynn1

amywynn1 New Egg

Oct 4, 2012
    how do I move the eggs with out messing things up?

4. Texasmja

Texasmja Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    I have a large dog carrier and I put clean hay in the bottom and moved each egg into the carrier and momma just went in after her eggs. She was fine once she had her eggs.

5. amywynn1

amywynn1 New Egg

Oct 4, 2012
    thanks so much! I checked on her and things seem okay for the moment. I sprayed "Fly's off" around the outside of the coup earlier, and teh ants have moved on for now. She must know her chick is gone because she will not let me near her. If she needs to be moved it will have to wait until tomorror night when my son aka the chicken whisperer is awake. Thank you so much for the timely answer. the chick appears to be fine and is getting up on its legs from time to time :)

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Have you checked the remaining eggs? I've had an ant problem with one of my broody hatches. The ants crawled right into the eggs when the chicks pipped. It was quite a mission to get them out!

7. rockingbearanch

rockingbearanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    Texas
    We have fire ants and they kill babies or even adults pretty quickly. I give them a cat litter box inside the broody box. The extra tall barrier really helps keep ants out. The babies can't walk out of the box on their own so after hatch I remove the litter box with all the mess. If you can't move them right away Sevin or DE might help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by