Need some help finishing a brooder

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 6littlechickies, Sep 20, 2010.

1. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    So DH and I are trying to build a small brooder out of pvc pipe. We have all the supplies (I think) but I can run out for additional supplies if needed. What we are constructing is a 2x4 box (rectangle really) and will line it with a combo of hardware wire (on the bottom) and chicken wire (sides and top). We started yesterday and have the frame all ready but now DH has lost steam and frankly, I just want to finish it up so I thought I'd take a shot while he is at work today. DH, although very capable, is not very motivated and I have a feeling this project will fall by the same way as many others and go unfinished for days/weeks if I don't step up and complete.

My question is HOW do I attach the wire to this cage? Specifically, how can I attached the wire to the pcv pipe? The pipe on the bottom is 3/4" and the side pieces are 1/2" so I think for the chicken wire around the sides/top I can just bend it around and at the pipes use zip ties to attach but how would I attach the bottom wire to the pipe? The hardware wire is much more sturdy for the chicks to walk on but it doesn't seem like it will bend around to tie to the pipe, not sure how else to attach. Any ideas? Anyone else made a brooder out of pvc have any suggestions?

thanks in advance!

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
  3. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    WOW...um, can I borrow your DH??! [​IMG] love mine but wow, sure wish he had the motivation to build something like that. heck, I'd be happy if I had the skill to do it myself! All about being self sufficient, just don't have the skills. Been trying to sweet talk my retired dad into building me one as he's more than able he just has absolutely no desire to assist! [​IMG]

seriously though, i really like his design, heck might just give it a shot myself! [​IMG] would work perfectly outside.

We're planning to keep this one indoors so I do need some kind of bottom, we thought wire would be easiest to clean but maybe I should just set it on top of a piece of plywood.

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Sure, I'll loan him out. [​IMG] I wish I knew how to build things myself too. The chicken tractor works great with new mamas and their hatchlings in the summer time. I also use it for a "playpen" for brooder birds who are too young to free-range with the flock yet.
    [​IMG]

I would just set teh brooder on a piece of plywood. I find wire bottomed cages a pain to clean. I bought a beautiful rabbit hutch from another BYCer for $30 to use as our brooder and ended up lining it with newspaper and putting the pine shavings on top of it. Plus, I don't really like the babies walking & sleeping on wire, it just seems so cold and unfriendly. But that's just me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by