Need some help from pinless peeper people!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bravo331, Dec 28, 2010.

1. bravo331

bravo331 New Egg

Mar 13, 2010
    Questions about pinless peepers. I read that my chickens will still be able to drink from the nipple waterers is this correct? What about going up and down the ramp they use to get in and out of their elevated coop? And jumping up to the roost? Two of my chickens (buff orpingtons I think) are pecking everyone else including the rooster. I know I have been giving them too much fancy scratch and im afraid ive let the problem go too long. I installed the nipple water bucket last weekend. I read that it will reduce thier urge to peck each other. Also I see alot of references too BOSS are we talking with husks on or off? Ive only ever found them with husks on. Also alot of reference to hanging cabbage which I have done and they LOVE it but if they are eating cabbage all the time wont that cause lack of protien? Wow my thumbs are cramping from all the typing!!

2. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Hi! I have hens with them on and they have had no problems at all... they can see down with no problem so the ramp isn't an issue and I also use nipple waterers and they have no problem... they see the other chickens do it and then they figure it out... they still have great peripheral vision. [​IMG]

3. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Oooppppsss --the BOSS question... they eat the whole thing... just make sure they have grit available at all times. I give cabbage as a treat... not regularly... I hang a whole head but in my coops I have twenty chickens... so the way I see it with that many they are not gorging themselves. If you have fewer birds I would just give smaller portions. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by