Need some help identifying the breeds of my hens [IMG Heavy]

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by morsekathan, Jun 9, 2011.

1. morsekathan

morsekathan Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Maryland
    Hi, I'm new to owning chickens. The 4 hens that we have now came from a farm at my daughter's college. They started with 34 so they weren't really sure of the breeds, because they had so many and such a variety in the beginning.

I'm sure that they're probably easy to identify, but we have no experience. I've looked through a lot of websites with lists of breeds, but there are so many, and none of them seem to really fit.

We know for sure one (Gonzo) is a Turken, those are sort of hard to miss!

But, we have two white ones, Thelma and Louise, but there are so many breeds that are white that it's hard to identify what they are.
    Here's a picture of one, the other one looks exactly the same.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the both of them together
    [​IMG]

The real hard one that we haven't been able to identify is Batman. None of the pictures of different breeds seem to be similar.
    [​IMG]

Here are all 4 of them roosting together
    [​IMG]

They're a bit over 3 months in these pictures. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

If you need more pictures I have plenty, and if more recent pictures would help, they have grown a significant amount in the past month, so I could take some more.

Chicken owning is very exciting!

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    White rocks, maybe a SLW?

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    The third pic down is a silver laced Wyandotte. I don't know what your white beauties are.

4. morsekathan

May 12, 2011
    Maryland
    Thank you so much! That's great. She's definitely a silver laced Wyandotte, thanks for telling me!

5. Grammy Bird

Grammy Bird New Egg

Oct 20, 2010
    The 2 white ones look like white rocks or some derivitive of white rocks. I say that as white rocks have been used as a base breed for many of the production type broilers and they can look very similar. Take a look at Cobb 500 and Cobb 700 chickens and you will see how close they look to your girls.

6. SeasideSilkies

SeasideSilkies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Your silver laced wyandotte and turken are so cute! I think the white ones could be white rocks but I'm not sure. Chicken owning is exiting! [​IMG]

7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Two White Rocks, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, and a Turken. [​IMG]

8. morsekathan

May 12, 2011
    Maryland
    Well, the college farmers are vegetarians so I'm not sure they would be getting chickens known for their "broiler" characteristics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by