Need some help on identifying breeds and possible gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Renee572, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Renee572

Renee572 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    Chick #1
    10 weeks old- I'm pretty sure its a Rhode Island Red and a pullet??

Chick #2
    9 weeks old- Pretty sure its a Plymouth Barred Rock but I'm wondering if it may be a roo due to the bright red comb and wattles (may have heard a squawk that was a wanna be crow)
    [​IMG]

The next 5 are definitely mixes but I have no idea what they are mixed with. I know it's probably hard to tell but I just wonder if anyone has any idea at this point. Maybe I need to let them feather out some more first though.

Chick #3
    3 weeks old- Polish and Silkie mix? Any idea on gender or is it too early to tell?
    It has 4 toes on left foot and 5 on right
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Chick #4
    3 weeks old- I originally thought it could be a Sicillian Buttercup mix but it doesn't have the distinct comb but rather a single comb, Any idea on gender?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Chick #5
    3 weeks old- I have no clue what this one could be. It looks pretty rough at this point. I'm wondering if it may be a roo.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Chick #6
    3 weeks old- No clue on this one either but maybe its chest feathers are a clue to someone who has more experience. I'm thinking pullet and I'm hoping it turns out to be a pretty chicken
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And last chick #7
    3 weeks old- No idea on this one either but it looks like it has white spots coming in on its head and its chest looks silver to me I'm thinking pullet.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Any suggestions would be helpful that way I can have a basis to compare to photos of the breeds named as these chicks get older so maybe I can narrow it down. I am going to try to get a hold of the person I bought the eggs from to see if he can be more helpful in what breeds these chicks could be. I will be sad if any are roos. My first bunch I hatched only 1 out of 10 ended up hatching (which is chick #2 and I think it might be a roo :( ) so we bought chick #1 so it would have a buddy. Then my 2nd time hatching I ended up having 18 out of 22 hatch and that was so amazing. Unfortunately when they were 2 weeks old and at my neighbors house in her big brooder we had an issue with the heat lamp. Its already getting into the 80s here during the day and that plus the heat lamp was too much for 13 of the chicks and they died. The remaining 5 above were very lethargic and we had to syringe feed them water! So anyway, I would really hate to have any of them be roos because we can't keep them in our community and with the ones we've already lost that will just be horrible. Just trying to prepare myself as to how many may be roos because I suspect we have 1 or 2 out of the bunch.

Thanks in advance!

2. PoultryQueen101

PoultryQueen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    Chicks 3 to 7 all have silkie in them. Other than that... um..

3. Renee572

Apr 11, 2014
    May I ask what gives that away? I've only had chickens for a little less than a year now but I want to learn all I can so I am just curious how you identify silkie in them. Do you think they all have the same dad or same mom? Or could it be a combination?

4. PoultryQueen101

PoultryQueen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    My, mistake. Chick 4 doesnt appear to be part silkie.

I say they are silkie because of their dark skin. But what gave it away was the tiny crest that can kinda be seen. They just have that look... Chick 1 is the best example. If you can see the silkie head there, compare it qith the rest.

Sorry, im just not sure I can explain this over the computer...

5. Renee572

Apr 11, 2014
    Ok gotcha, thanks. I am wondering if my blacks are part black sex-link chicks. The guy did give me a few eggs labeled bsl however I can't really be certain that these remaining 3 blacks were from those eggs. I was reading that the pullets chests can have the gold/red coloring while cockerels are barred.

6. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

I agree... the key on Silkie crosses are the dark skin, crests and you said one has 5 toes on one foot... that specific combination is pretty specific to Silkie mixes, and smooth feathers is the norm...

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Chick #1 is a RIR or Production Red, and yes, looks to be a pullet.

Chick #2 is a Plymouth Barred Rock...and...I could go either way on that one. I've had Barreds mature early and lay early...and while red, that's not a lot of comb....so hmmmmm....I'd wait and see if that is indeed some crowing come from it before I declare it a done deal.

I agree the rest are mostly Silkie crosses for reasons stated by other posters.

Lady of McCamley

8. Corydg

Corydg Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2015
    Battle Ground Washington
    Your number 5 and 7 look a lot like my 4 week old modern game. I'd like to see their posture and legs a bit more.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Renee572

Apr 11, 2014
    I'll try taking more pictures of them. They are pretty skiddish around people so it's hard to get good pics if you aren't holding them.

Thanks for everyone's input I really appreciate it.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

I am leaning towards cockerel with Chick #2, though.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by