need some help on shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by grannychicken54, Mar 1, 2013.

1. grannychicken54

grannychicken54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    Hi I hope someone can help me out I ordered 16 eggs they were packaged great none were cracked or broke but all of the aie cells were all over the place I let them set upright for 24 hours and then put them in the incubator for 2 days without using the turner I candled them on day 7 and maby 2 might get the air cells close some of the air cells are huge some are on the wrong end I put 7 of my eggs in at the same time and they look great is there any thing I can do to save some of the eggs. This is my second time trying with shipped eggs and the other time same thing. I really want some of these to hatch if any one has any advice I would really be greatful. Thanks

2. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Granny,

Shipped eggs are often problematic. PO is aweful handlers, and most folks don't know to individuall wrap each egg, and be sure to ship pointy end down. You have done all possible, the only thing to do is see through the incubatiion, and hope some work out.

I'm sorry. I'd advise you in future to check on others who have purchased eggs from source, and be sure of their hatching success with their shipped eggs.

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I will get eggs from the store sometimes, and alot of the eggs come pointed end up. I get so mad! even if you are going to eat eggs you want the round side up so the yolk doesn't break.

4. grannychicken54

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    Thanks for the advice I bought them from someone on here you haves a good feedback response and they were shipped pointy end down but you could tell the po was rough the outer box was smashed. Maby one or two will hatch I am keeping my fingers crossed and thanks again

5. grannychicken54

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    I had never thought about that when buying eggs from the store see there is always something new to learn on here. Thanks

6. grannychicken54

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    I am so excited after I candled on day 7 and the air cells were all crazy I pretty much thought it was a lost cause tonite I decided what the heck I am going to look again and I could not believe it I think some are developing the air cells are better and I could see blood viens in cream legbars but I could not really tell on the Marans also I think one has a blood ring not sure how do I tell for sure that means it is no good right. I would really welcome some advice on the blood ring . No one else understands how excited I am they just think I nuts. and they may be right

7. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have fridge eggs, not from store, and they are doing fine- day 16, all have veins and air cells looking good!

8. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

If the veining (spider) is gone, and there is a ring of blood around the egg, or a glob of blood in one place, the egg is dead. It started and aborted. Take it out ASAP, those tend to explode which will contaminate and kill your good eggs.

I have sometimes found eggs "making" a better air sac as they incubate. I've seen babies come out of the wonkiest eggs and no hatches out of the most perfect looking - with shipped eggs its always a crap shoot.

Come to "the thread formerly known as hatch day is today" (in the duck area, but we hatch everything). A lot of us hatching geeks (your in good company!) hang out there and we'll all be happy to share our advice, experience, and hope with you. Oh, and we love to chat about whats in the bater and whats hatched. Today there are emus hatched and ducks hatched, and most of us have chicken eggs baking. And Goose.

9. grannychicken54

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    Thanks for the info so I should take it out and throw it away I am pretty sure that is a blood ring but since I have never seen one but from pics on here I think it is. Thanks again and I will be reading on the theard formerly known as hatch day as I really need advice on hatching in incubators

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by